I don't believe in vaccinating my kids, so do I have to vaccinate my daughter before she enters kindergarden?

Kissax3

Asked by Kissax3 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. When you register your child you can sign a "waiver" form stating it is due to medical or religious reasons.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• In most states, a parent must bring written proof of a child's immunizations from the health provider or clinic at the time of school registration. If a required vaccination has not been obtained, and there is no health condition or religious objection preventing immunization, the child must receive the vaccinations before school entry. You will need to find out what the laws are in your state.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I know for our state you no longer have the option for religious reasons, but if you have proof from the pediatritian you cannot vaccinate for medical reasons then you don't need them. Otherwise you do need them for school or you have to option to homeschool. It seems mean to me to make you vaccinate you children if you are against them. I do vaccinate mine, but don't look down on parents who don't. I think it should be up to the parent not the schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think children are given too many immunizations at too young of an age. I also believe children start school at too young of an age for their immune system. They probably shouldn't start being around groups of other children until they are around 12. That's why younger kids get sick so often.

By not giving any immunizations you are putting you child at some risk. You should consider the dT and MMR. Tetanus is still a very serious disease with a risk of death. When kids are older you can talk the doctor into the dT without the P for whooping cough. The P part is what gives the bad ractions.

There are still outbreaks of measles. German measles during pregnancy causes birth defects. Your child could get German measles and give it to a pregnant person. That person may not have strong enough immunity. It may seem like that's not your child's responsibility but what if it was a family member?

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It really depends on the county. In my county, there is no such thing as a religious exemption.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No exemptions in NJ.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 8:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Not all states have all the exemptions allowed. And if you sign the waiver stating one of the exemptions, lying just because you don't want your kid to be vaccinated but still attend school...and then get caught in your lie, you can be in serious trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009