This question is for people who have taken the pacifier away from their kid cold turkey?

How long did the crying last especially at night that is where I am having trouble

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It was 2 weeks of pure hell. She was 18 months old and I did it because her doctor told me to.

I'm now slowly weaning my 16 month old from his pacifier. Cold turkey was awful! I'm never doing that again.

I only let him have the paci for naps and bedtime right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• lol I told mine for the pacifier and the bottle... "there is poopoo on it.. Its garbage... yucky!" never wanted either again
    Anonymous

• my dd cried for 2 nights and that was it but was worth it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son was 3 when we took his away. I think it lasted 3 nights, and the third night wasn't even bad. He asked for it maybe once or twice after that, and that was all. (I know, it was terrible to wait so long!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just to add, we only allowed it at bedtime and naptime. Then we took it away at naptime, and finally a year later, bedtime. I don't recommend waiting that long! :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 2 nights and it was a great way to go.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Oh and I took it away at 1 yr.
    Anonymous

• my dd was off the paci at 7 months...never even noticed it was gone and she was off the bottle at 9 months...she didnt care as long as she was getting something to drink she didnt care what it was out of
    mamamissy23

Answer by mamamissy23 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• With DD I took her paci away when her brother turned one. (My children are 13 months apart) So she was 2 years. What had actually happened was on his birthday she left her last paci at her grandmas house and we had forgotten it. So I said okay fine thats it. Jimmie is getting his bottle taken away, then Cassie will get her paci taken away. She cried and everything for basically that whole day. Took her about an hour longer to fall asleep bc she thought she "needed" her paci. but after two weeks she stopped asking for it. (She stopped crying after the 2nd or 3rd night)
    MaNDaLoVEe

Answer by MaNDaLoVEe at 8:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i told my dd that santa had to take her binki's and give them to the little babies so he can bring her some big girl presents for christmas (she was two) she cried for a binki like twice after christmas but i just reminded her of a few presents she got and reminded her that santa gave the binkis to the little babies for christmas and it made them very happy and she would stop crying.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009