Where to keep the art stuff?

My son is 21 months old and into art stuff. Things like markers, crayons and play dough. How does one keep this stuff out of his reach but still where he can see it so he can ask for it. He can't talk yet.

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 7:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my son was that age i bought a rolling cart and stuck it in a closet.... this was before he could open doors. and once he COULD open doors, i moved everything to a lock-able ENORMOUS filing cabinet since he had scissors and glue in there too.

then at arts & crafts time, whip out the art cart and open all the drawers and he (or you together) choose a project to work on
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That's a good one. My dd is warming up to art stuff, but we don't have any room to give it a place so she can't ask which just means it'll take longer for her to really get into it. If you have room, I would get one of those art centers. Some have a place to actually do all the crafts, which is nice, but there's also ones like these: http://blog.woodentoddlertoys.com/uploaded_images/supply-cart-706469.jpg that look wonderful!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my kids are 3 & 4 now.... i keep puzzles and games like candy land under lock & key too. it ensures the pieces stay together..... 1 game or project at a time. i HATE losing pieces to things... the exception is their place kitchen... i have the foods (from a 500 piece set!) with their normal toys and it drives me insane when they freak out not being able to find the pizza sauce, cheerios or milk or whatever.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• oh yeah - and it's a personal goal of mine to go thru all of parenting them up til they're in Yale or Harvard (LOLZ!) without a single self hair cutting horror story. my husband and I both played barber on ourselves as kids and I don't wanna go thru that. I keep a strict scissor count, just like a prison kitchen counts forks I suppose
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• simple crayons and coloring books can be left out, within reason.... most decent crayons are awfully washable these days.
    Honestly though I kept crayons special for car rides, restaurants and dr's visits and whatnot, though.... I wanted coloring to remain "special" so they'd not be bored of it. from 18mos to now they've rarely colored at home.... unless I need a shower really darn bad
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Put it in the same place and he wil learn that is were it is fast enough. Personal we have a good bit of legos and they come in these great containors. I have the largest with all of the legos in it, and then other with my daugthers playdough. I also use the bottom half of wipe dispensers to hold the crayons and such.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• What I do is put it right out of their reach...Like a shelf or on top of the fridge so that way they will run and point and ask for it
    MaNDaLoVEe

Answer by MaNDaLoVEe at 8:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• How about organizing everything in an under the bed storage container.......You can push them way under. Get one on wheels. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 8:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I like the lock and key idea. I think I will have to see if those plasic rolling shelves can be modified to include a lock. The issue has been with the art stuff is there isn't enough room to store it anywhere else in the house but the kids' room, however with my little monkey man no place is 100% safe! But a lock and key, that just might work. lol
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 11:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Ah! I just thought of something, tackle boxes have a place for a lock to go! I used one while I was in art in highschool/college! Duh! Gosh now I feel silly for asking this question. lol.
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 11:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009