I exclusively breastfeed and I was told today that....

because my 3 month old sleeps 8 hours at night, the decrease in the likely-hood to get pregnant thing is now moot. Is this true? Does this mean I am now ovulating and will get my period?

P.S. I am aware that bfing is NOT a form of birth control, it just decreases the chance of pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's more likely, but definately not guarenteed. Some women don't get their periods back until they wean. My daughter slept though the night at about 6 weeks old or so and I didn't get mine back until she was 10 months. But I have a friend who was exclusively breastfeeding, never got a period and found out she was pregnant when her baby was 3 months old. You just never know for sure.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Everyone is different. My friend got her period back 4mo. after exclusively BF, but i did not get mine back until 15months when my son weaned himelf from BF. My understanding is you can still ovulate even if you have no period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i think your chances do go up once baby is STTN
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 7:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You could ovulate before your first period. You could take your temp every morning and chart it and then you would know when you ovulate. Since you aren't experienced you would want to use other forms of birth control. It's fun to know what's going on with your body. It could be months before you ovulate. There are a lot of factors involved.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• ...No. You DO ovulate before your period. Not "can". DO. Ovulation releases the egg. If the egg isn't fertilized it triggers your period. Repeat.

OP- I ovulated 4 weeks after my DD was born, but didn't get an actual period until 4 months. Soooo, it just depends on your body. Some women can go until their kid weans w/o a period(or ovulating). If you're worried about getting pregnant, use condoms and pretend that you're ovulating all the time.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• you might get pregnant, so you should take precautions. But that being said, all 4 of my babies slept 8 plus hours/night be 2 1/2 months and I didn't get my period until they were around 9 months old.
    Of course, I get pregnant with my 3rd when my 2nd was 9 months old, and never had my period in between them.

Answer by missanc at 8:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Everyone is different. I breastfed my son and he STILL woke every 3-4 hours at night until he was 10 months... but I got my period back the day he turned 6 months (I was so mad!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I got pregnant while breastfeeding my ds
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i bf my dd and she ate every hr or less from the very first nite she was out i got my period when she was just a month old and the came regular for a little while and tehn it went back to the way it was befor i had her. the only benifit i got while bf was bonding with my dd i didnt lose weight and my boobs didnt shrink back to their normal size.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 8:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't think BF affects your period like everyone says it does. It took me 8 months to get my period, and I quit BFing at 2 months.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009