Someone with disability income...

I am thinking of applying for disability due to medical reasons. But, I'm not sure what to put on the application. Any words of advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Health

• Social Security office or website
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• it's the phone interview that matters.... anywhere from an hour to 3 hours on the ph talking about your medical situation and how it impacts your life enough that you require disibility
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Be prepared for the fact that your application will probably be rejected, and you'll have to appeal the decision. I originally applied in July 2002, and after getting my application denied and going through the appeals process, I was finally awarded disability in June of 2004. You will want to speak to an experience social security lawyer (if you can afford it)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Im in the middle of all mine right now, but I wish I knew more myself. The website isnt that helpful, it just tells you how to apply. So far, Ive had a phone interview, filled out an insane amount of paperwork and will probably be sent to a MD soon for who knows what kid of tests and such. I hope it doesnt really take 2 yrs to go through the whole process and an appeals like the post above me, that would just be awful.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 9:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Oh, and I forgot, just answer everything to your fullest ability on what all is wrong with you, they can weed through it all and figure out what is relevant to your case. :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 9:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• There should be agencies in your local area that can assist you with the paperwork. If you want to PM I can try to help you find somewhere.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• no agency will help with actual WORDING.... that is lawyer territory and then they get a cut of your back pay.

you can do it yourself. it's all about creativity and honesty.... they do not know you or what your life is like, you're almost writing an autobiography. let them into your world, your daily struggles, your needs and wants and weaknesses.

I got in on the 1st time for myself in 2004..... my son was denied this summer and I am trying to figure out where the problem layed before I proceed w/ appeal. problem is either myself or his dr's.... but which one(s)? It's a struggle, and exhausting. Filing for disability is a full time job!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2009