last question about my birthing plan...

DH and I have been considering this for a while but we arent sure yet. Ok well we want our DD to be as involved as possible, and we read that having the sibling in the delivery room helps with jealousy. So would you have your older child in the room while you gave birth (up by my head of course...not down where the action is lol)

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 8:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes definitely! I don't see anything wrong with it. It teaches a lot. My SIL let her daughter watch and she loved it.
    NevaehsMommy888

Answer by NevaehsMommy888 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't because they are young enough that I'd worry about them being scared. What with the pain and any yelling/anything like that. No child wants to see their mother in pain. I don't think it is a good idea unless the child is over a certain age, one in which they are old enough to understand that this is not a scary situation.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 8:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• With my DD I wasnt in pain, I mean I wasnt screaming or anything...barely made a noise. I mean if it goes as smoothly as last time, I dont want her to see me screaming just if it is calm again
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 8:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think it all depends on the childs personality and how you think they would handle it. I think if my child was too young to completely understand what is going on i would opt not to have them in the room with me. It is your birthing plan so it is up to you. I think you should go for it if that is what you want in your birthing plan.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• it depends...i dont think there is anything wrong with this idea, but how old is your dd? my dd is 3yrs old and i know she would be freaking out if she were in the room while i gave birth (if i gave birth vaginally) but i took her to every dr. apt when i was pregnant and it was good for her to understand what was going on and see the baby and hear the heartbeat and talk about the baby...and she is not jealous at all. she adores her baby brother and is very loving and gentle and understanding when it comes to him. it is good to have your child be involved. i would just think about if your dd would be able to handle being in the delivery room. ??? good luck whatever you decide
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It depends on the age of your dd and how well she handles things like that. But if you decide to you should have someone ( a grandparent, aunt, friend) close who can calm her down and take her into the waiting room if she does get scared or upset.
    reava

Answer by reava at 10:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• no. Even if you personally aren't making a scene (not that it wouldn't be totally warrented if you were!), there's a lot of new and weird stuff going on that she wouldn't understand. She would sense the stress and tension and God forbid you need a c-section or something urgent occured during the delivery. The staff will go in crisis mode, things move fast and it would scare her a lot. Even just the prep before delivery can be a little frantic and may worry her. And just because you were calm for the first, no delivery is the same and you may feel more pain. There's just a lot of uncertainties even in the most routine delivery. I think there a lot of great ways to keep her involved but the delivery room isn't the best idea IMO. I didn't get to be in delivery and I was six when my brother was born. I didn't feel left out at all. Mommy was in the hospital and we'd see her soon.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Depends on the maturity level of ur child, and since u know ur child best, ur the only one that can truly answer this question. Just take in 2 consideration all the possible things that could happen in the delivery room, and decide, gl I hope all goes well 4 u
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son can't handle when I am in pain, he cries and wants me to hold him so that he knows I am ok. So, no I wouldn't allow him in the room. However, if he didn't freak out, then yes I would let him in the room...
    1sttimemommy198

Answer by 1sttimemommy198 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2009