how do i get my baby completely weened off?

My baby is 18 months old and Ive been trying to ween her off since she turned a year but she'll do anything to get it she claws bites kicks tears my clothes off me litterally and throws fits I put her in time out everytime and occasionally gets a spanking but she doesnt care. She only wants it during the day too she puts herself to sleep at night. What should I do? How do I get her cut off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DO NOT PUNISH HER! You do not want to associate weaning with punishment. You have to be gentle and redirect her. 18 months is TOO young to spank, they don't understand anything other than mommy is hitting me. Just tell her no and put her down. Then gently walk away. If she wants to throw a fit let her throw a fit. Just ignore it. Cut down one feeding a week, until she is off. She wants you, tell her no more booby or whatever you call it and put her down.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 3:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Why not allow your child to nurse a little longer, since she obviously doesn't feel ready to give it up?
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 3:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Because maybe Mommy doesn't want her attached to her boob anymore. Breastfeeding can be tiring.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first response... don't punish her. Tell her "no booby" (or whatever) and offer her a sippy cup instead... then let her throw a fit. I'd recommend still doing it at bedtime for a while, but if you can get her to give up the afternoon feedings, that's a good start.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't ignore her. That is a lot of rejection for a baby. It is the equivalent of your husband pushing you away and saying, "No more Kissy/Huggy" and walking out of the room. I'm not saying the child shouldn't be weened...eventually, but doing it cold turkey and ignoring her is harsh, like poring salt on a open wound.
    missmarykay

Answer by missmarykay at 1:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2008