How do you feel about giving younger kids Benadryl when you travel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• like to make them sleep?? idk i personally wouldn't do it but my mom gave it to my bro every nite to help him sleep and he has asthma and allergies so he couldnt breathe and he would wake up..but for no reason? no thats just a bunch of chemicals and its no good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My little cousin gets very car sick... She has medication from the doc for road trips... it puts her right to sleep and stops nausea... Id ask my doc first
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• depends on your reasons? our pediatrician recommended us giving it to my boys only because they get motion sickness and it helps with that but also makes them bounce off the walls...and its that time of year for allergies to be at their worse if you are traveling cross country then it wouldnt hurt, cause the air may contain dust that they arent used to..but to give it to them just to knock them out is actually considered child abuse i had a friend loose her kids cause she gave them allergy meds to put them asleep cause she didnt want to deal with them
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It depends. We will be traveling 16 hours by plane in December and we have a 3 year old and 4 year old. I don't think it would hurt them to give them a dose before we take off. But we would probably make sure it doesn't cause the opposite affect(excitability). We will ask their doctor what they think of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't believe in it for no reason. If your kids have allergies, that is fine. If you just want them to sleep, then that isn't right (IMO). I am getting ready to drive over 2000 miles with my kids and dogs and I won't medicate them. I only medicate cats on trips and that is only if they need it.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I flew to Hong Kong this spring (so like...16 hours on one plane I think)
    A lot of people suggested giving my 3 yr old benadryl, but I had also heard that it can make kids excited instead of sleepy, so I didn't do it. I wasn't into giving him drugs he didn't really need. If he had some kind of cold or allergy i would, but just to make them drowsy I didn't agree with. He did great on the flight, so I definitely don't regret it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am anon 9:06. That sounds really good anon 9:24. I am not worried about my 4 year old but my 3 year old gets irritated really fast. I just cant see him being patient for 9 hours than 7 hours a total of 16 hours of flying. Your experience gives me hope lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm glad!! I was nervous about the trip, and i'm not going to say it was easy breezy, but it definitely went better than expected. We had movies on the whole flight (take a dvd player if you can get one, or if you know the airline some have personal tvs like the one we took). We had lots of coloring books and I Spy books, a few new toys...And plenty of walking to the bathroom lol
    Also, we lucked out on the way there because it was naptime, he woke up to eat, played a while, then it was bedtime back home. He slept a lot. The ride home was different, but still not awful. Usually the flight crew on those long flights are really nice about little kids. They know it's hard. We had one that stood and talked with him and played with him for about 10 min when she wasn't doing anything else and he loved that!!
    Good luck! Where are you going??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No, they fall asleep in the car anyway. We do give it to our dog. But that's cause he gets car sick, and pukes. I only give him 1 capsule, so he doesn't fall asleep, he just lays down cause he's tired.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• We're going to South Africa. Gosh am i nervous. I have flown there with my husband before we had kids but now i am just soooooo nervous lol. The DVD player is a great idea. Hopefully we can get a night flight so that they will sleep half way there. Thanks for the advice :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2009