does your 6yr old clean their bedroom?

just wondering if your child cleans up their room or if they receive help from you or if you clean it for them? and any advice for moms (like me) on how to get your child to consistently clean their room

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, my son is 5. He cleans his room every night before bedtime. I clean his room once a week though to get the things that he misses. He knows that he doesn't clean it up, I'll throw it away. Stepping on legos first thing in the morning is not a pleasant way to wake up. :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i wish i have a 4.5 y/o and 6.5 y/o and i have a hard time gettin them to clean their room...i tried takiin away toys, and giving rewards...but nothing....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Mine does! We helped him when he was younger and then for a while we'd tell him to clean it and then come in and show him how he could do a better job, and eventually he figured it out! I mean, it's not spotless when he cleans it but he gets it in better order anyway...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• All they need is a little order. If the room is overwhelming to them tell them what to clean/put up first and then when he is done with that something else til the room is clean. He will eventually be great at it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, mine do. I'll do the fine-tuning but they have to put toys away and dirty clothes in the hamper, shoes in the closet.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, my 6 year old daughter cleans her room by herself every night before bedtime. Once every few months I go through and do a thorough cleaning, dusting and weeding out toys and clothes that she no longer uses, but she cleans it herself. My 4 year old son is capable of cleaning up, but the attention span isn't there, so he needs my assistance. My 6 year old also dusts and vacuums (not very well, but she tries).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It's part of the bedtime routine.

He's 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, my daughter just turned 8 but was cleaning her own room, and vacuuming when she was 6. Thursday nights are "inspection" and rooms have to be clean and vacuumed by bedtime or no allowance. Once every few weeks I'll go in and help her do a thorough cleaning, but she's starting to get really good at not getting it messed up.

Answer by missanc at 10:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, he has to make up his bed in the morning and clean up any books, toys, etc on the floor before he gets in the bathtub at night. I vacuum once a week or so and he knows if it isn't picked up it could get sucked up. I pick up the "missed" stuff as I go in and out throughout the week and do a good cleaning/getting rid of old clothes kind of thing every few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes. My 6 yr old knows how to clean her room.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 3:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2009