What age

What is the right age to get baby/toddler off bottles and binkys. I've heard didfferent ages.
My oldesd son gave up binky at 5 months and bottle by 14 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My rule of thumb was to take them both way by 1. But every child is different. My oldest didn't have any problems giving them up, but my twins were another story. I had to give the bottle to them only at bed time and then once in the morning. I did this for problably a month or so and then out they both went.
    Kissax3

Answer by Kissax3 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• For US, it was bottles gone at 6 months.

As for the pacifier, for US it was 13 months for the first, 10 months for the second and 4 months for the third.

But those were the right ages for us and our kids.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son's turning two next month, and we only just got him completely off the bottle two weeks ago. He is on sippy cups at night now, but aside from that drinks his milk and juice from cups. He gets one sippy at night, usually around 2 am, because he eats like a bird and wakes up hungry. There's no set age, just go with what your tot is ready to do. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My kids went to sippy cups by 10 months, but we kept the paci longer. So far, my oldest was the only one to take a paci - at age 1, we limited it to bedtime only and then got rid of it at 2. My youngest is also using a paci - he's 9 months and loves the thing, but we're starting to limit it to bedtime and naps and will probably follow the same route we did with our oldest, gone by 2.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I got her off bottles at 13 months. We're still working on pacis but I feel she is overdue to stop at 16m. Once we get her on a better bedtime routine, we'll drop them. I just don't offer her a paci and hope she'll eventually start to get over it because I know its not good after 18m.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Mine was off the bottle at 11 months bc he weaned himself but the paci he still has at 16 months and I don't see it disappearing anytime soon.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am a believer in constantly trying new things, but also not giving up what works. Give him a sippy or cup to try out and if he refuses go back to what works... the bottle. Also, if a pacifier is your tool to making him happy, keep it around! I don't think there is a problem with pacifiers, just other people who disapprove! I am breastfeeding a 15 month old and everyone I know says I should wean... but it's what works and makes him happy so I am continuing to do so until he is ready to quit. However, I do give him other options, he just refuses them every time : )
    LaurenMichele

Answer by LaurenMichele at 11:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 1 yrs old 4 both
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I always SAID 6 mos for binky, a year for bottle. But we held onto the binky until she was 18 mos and I think that is the latest I would keep any kid on it. The bottle, my daughter tried getting off at 8 mos but I kept her on it until 11 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yea my kids take the bottle until they were 2 yrs old after they turn one only for bedtime at night. and they were never on a paci.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009