Out! Out! Out! Getting a toddler to quiet down?

When my 21 month old is in her car seat and we are driving down the road, she says out, out, out, out, out, out, out, over and over until I want to scream! In fact I have screamed; I have asked her to stop; I have distracted her; ignore it, put music on; everything I can think of EXCEPT take her out. She seems to love her car seat and it is top of the line, so I don't think she is uncomfortable. I am at my wits end. It is seriously the most annoying and distracting thing! Any ideas?

She is still rear facing and I think this will probably go away when I turn her around, but we've still got 2 lbs to go before that happens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was going to suggest the mirror as well. Have you ever chimed in with the out, out, out, song. You could start with the out, out, out, and move on to out, out, out, my window I see a ..... tree, out, out, out my window I see a ....red car. Take a negative and make it positive ... when in Rome do as the Roman's do.
    cluelessme

Answer by cluelessme at 1:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• lord have mercy! do you give her toys to play with in the car? talk to her about anything and everything, even though she won't fully understand, it's better than hearing "out, out ,out!" over and over. it probably will get better when you get the new car seat. good luck!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• She's 21 mos and still under the weight limit for a forward facing seat? My son's been forward facing since he turned a year old, and he was not a heavy baby. I think he was two pounds under, but was too long for the rear facing seat.

Anyway, is it possible she gets motion sickness? I used to have a hard time in a car as a kid because I'd get car-sick on long trips or if I was buckled in. (The belt around my stomach didn't help..) Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yeah she has tons of toys books, special car loveys. Talking to her helps, sometimes.

I never thought about her being car sick. She starts with the out out out before we have even made it off our block, so I doubt that is it. BTW she will go forward facing when she is 2 yo or 33 lbs.

Any other ideas?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• that sucks. Emma does that from time to time. I would first make sure her car seat was fitting her properly, especially the height. Maybe she's uncomfortable. I'd also give her a sippy or a toy to play with but I'm assuming you do that. When you try all those things, do you do just one and stick with it? Ignoring seems to work the best for me. She'll try it a few times but once I keep ignoring her, she stops.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• maybe give her a mirror so she can see herself. good luck.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 11:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My 2 year old hates the car seat! For the longest time we gave her toys, snacks, books, anything under the sun to make her happy in the car, but it didn't work. We finally got her a little DVD player and started keeping an extra set of her favorite movies in the car. It works like a charm. Now she is such an angel in the car.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 7:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2009