Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To be able to teach Spanish in schools what kind of degree do I need?

I live in Connecticut.. and would love to take advantage of my bilingual abilities and teach in schools, but I don't know what kind of degree I would need. I've tried to find out on the internet but sometimes I find that I need an Associates Degree, other that just a Teacher's Certification would be enough.. but no specifics about it.

Does anybody have any information about it? I don't want to be a Teacher. I just want to teach Spanish. Is it possible to take a course or something in Spanish to teach it?
Kind of lost right now.

Answer Question

Asked by VickyZ at 9:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Contact the local community college or a nearby university and ask. Do you want to teach spanish in a school(like high school) or like a private deal? a college would definitely know what to do.

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • What do you mean you don't want to be a teacher, you just want to teach Spanish? Taking a job teaching makes you a teacher. In order to get a teaching certificate you need to have a bachelor's degree. In many states you can become certified to teach even if your degree isn't education (I have no clue about Connecticut) but you need to have a four year degree. You also need a degree to teach at a community college.

    You might be able to get a job at a community center teaching informal Spanish classes or something. I'm sure you could volunteer at schools helping the Spanish teachers, but if you want a job you need the degree to get the certificate.


    Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • In order to teach, you must be certfied or licensed at that involves a Bachelor's degree and a teaching certificate. You may be able to use your bilingual skills to tutor people that are learning English as a second language. Check with the teacher education program at a 4 yr college and they will be able to tell you. Good luck!!

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • contact the school board and ask them what they require

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • Depends on where you live. Check with your State Department of Public Instruction - in NC where I live you can get a job teaching with any BA, as long as you are currently working towards getting your teaching cert.

    Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • In the state of Ohio you would need to have a bachelors in education in order to teach. That is 4 yrs my friend. But to sub in the public schools you need a bachelors of any can be business etc, they don't care as long as it is a 4 yr degree. It is awesome that you can speak different languages, and are willing to share that...but to teach, you need to go to school like everyone else, you can't just skip over that part. Now, if you want to volunteer your time, that is another story entirely.

    Answer by salexander at 1:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • I have a BA in Graphic Design.. and actually it was 5 years! so I think this would be good to use towards my certification or something. What I mean about not wanting to "be a teacher", is that as much as I admire Teachers, I don't want to just study all those subjects to be able to teach just Spanish. I am sure it will take some subjects like Psicology etc... but I just wonder if there is a course where you can take to teach specific subjects and that's it. But like all of you guys said, I will try to get to talk to a counselor at the community college and maybe they will be able to guide me and then I can make a decision about what to do.

    Answer by VickyZ at 12:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.