When do babies start eating baby food?

besides cereal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started cereal at 4 months then around 5 months we added veggies and fruits. Remember to add only one new food at a time and wait at least 3 days between each new food to watch for allergies. My son liked sweet potatoes a lot! Also, try some mashed avacado. Its very mild and babies love it! I started noticing him becoming more interested in food when I was eating. I figured he may be ready and from the 1st bite on he has loved food!!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life, not even cereal added to that. After 6 months fruits and veggies are the most appropriate foods, although there is no NEED for them until after a year.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• At the advice of my pediatrician, we started fruits, veggies and cereal at 4 months

Answer by missanc at 10:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think it depends on the kid. My pediatrician told me to start my daughter on cereal when she was four months old and then fruits and veggies about a month after that. Well, I tried doing that and my daughter just didn't get it. I knew that she was ready for it a few weeks after that because she started to ''chew'' the food and kept most of it in her mouth instead of spitting it all out. Oh, and she loved the sweet potatoes too! Be careful about juice though. I put some apple juice in the cereal to make it taste sweeter (she snubbed water in it and I had difficulty pumping breastmilk for it) and it gave her REALLY bad, smelly gas...
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i started my baby within four month. i started just letting him taste it. I started with the cereal and add in fruit but to make sure he doesn't get constipated you make sure he drinks water too. The cereal will make your baby constipated so whenever you feed him/her just make sure he drinks plenty of water. The baby will probably have few food that he would not love but you should not stop completely. just give him two spoon every now and then to let him get used it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• its a mothers decision. do it when you feel they are ready, i started cereal at 3 months and fruits and veggies at 4 months
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009