how can i discpline my 2 1/2 years old kid?

hello cafe moms my toddler is driving me crazy. he dosn't listen me or he's father if he dosn't get wat he want the house turning upside down by screaming- yale - trow stuff at me and i don't know what to do with him is any one has any idea i can use some help. sorry about my english stil learning......thank you...

selam577

Asked by selam577 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do time out. I put time outs usually in a dark corner for a set number of min. If my baby cries in time out then thats fine she will sit there longer. My son is 4 and cries too damn much for a boy and for a 4 year old. Time out works for my children and also taking favorite toys away or not taking them to their favorite playground or letting them watch they're favorite movie. Do not let them tear up your house, oh no, make them pick it all up after time out and then while they're cleaing up they can tell you what they're in trouble for and what they should do next time. Like saying please and thank you. Waiting a few min for you to give them what they wanted.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• check out the book "happiest toddler on the block" and especially its section on tantrums. I hate the way its written, but its amazing. The only exception is that I don't talk to my child by saying "mad mad mad emma is so angry" when she's upset. I say something like "you are so mad. you really want that toy. I know you're upset." It works just as well and I don't feel stupid. I thought it would help with her sleep problems (she won't do it!) but there isn't even a section on sleeping. Still, it really improved her tantrums in just two days! I didnt even realize we had a problem!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i love that book happiest toddler on the block! it is written horribly but the ideas are good ones and makes you see their perspective so you can talk at their level. time outs too, and if he gets out of time out, the timer starts all over again. a min per year, so he sits for 2 mins than you explain why he is there. as far as throwing things at you, if it were me whatever gets thrown would then be put away for a week, so oh well if its a fave toy or something b/c he wouldn't have access to it for that week (maybe just 2 or 3 days but still it'd be gone for a bit)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am horrible with discipline, but my husband is much better. What we do is if she is throwing a tantrum, which she only does when we tell her no, is put her in the corner for two minutes. If she continues to cry she gets another minute. When she's done we comfort her a bit and explain to her on why she has to listen. I don't think she really gets it as she is only 2 1/2, but you have to start sometime.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 7:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2009