What exactly does Pagen mean?

Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pagan is basically an umbrella term used for religions that tend to be earth based. The ones who do not fall under Islam-Christianity-Judaism.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Depends on who you ask. It can be used to describe any belief that does not follow the God of Abraham, it can pertain solely to those of "Earth-based" religions. It has been used to describe religious beliefs that are ancient polytheist religions such as within ancient Rome. Many different definitions for it. It is better explained at the following

http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It depends on who you ask. Some use it as an umbrella term to describe any religion that is not Abrahamic, but most people who use the term to define their beliefs probably mean it in the sense of neo-Paganism, earth-based religions as decribed in the religious tolerance site above.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• While Paganism is technically anything that's not an Abrahamic religion (Judism, Christianity, Islam...) I am thinking that you were looking for an answer about what those of us that generally call ourselves Pagan believe. Many of us answer the question "What is your religion?" with answers ranging from just Pagan to Eclectic Pagan Witch to Eclectic Pagan Witch w/ a pull to the Celtic Gods... Each of those answers can have any number of beliefs tied to them. Generally when you find someone that belongs to a spacific path, such as Wicca, They will simply say "I'm Wiccan". I do not fall to any one path but I am Pagan and I do practice both ritual and daily magick, so I am also a witch. This makes me an Eclectic pagan witch.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• In general those that call them selves Pagan in stead of Buddhist or Taoist fall in to categories like mine. None of us believe the same as the others. But at the core out beliefs are similar. I would feel free to say that we all believe in Gods & Goddesses, many or few. Some believe in one energy that is both and others believe there are more than we could ever imagine...

We also tend to share the belief that the earth is a special gift and that it's our job to care for it and respect it. We all mostly hold a belief in Karma, and some reincarnation.

• In truth if you ask 12 different pagans what a pagan is you will get 13 different answers. The best general Pagan artical I can send you to (because there isn't really enough room here) is http://www.paganspath.com/magik/pagan.htm If you read that it should make some sence to you. It's all really general and very well written. I would also encourage you to look around the site and see what else you may learn.

And if all fails keep asking questions!

www.cafemom.com/group/endreligioushate

• Pagan comes the Latin, Paganus or Pagani , which means city dweller or peasant. Came later to define polytheistic religions ( those worshipping more than one god). After that it's much more personal, and depends on who you ask.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 12:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Lot's of wonderful answers!
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009