Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am wanting to go back to school. I have four children anyone have any ideas where I can find scholarships/pell grants to help me out?

Answer Question

Asked by kelli232000 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I don't have any ideas,but,here's a great big push for you to go back to school.Good luck. Check with your community or state college admission office,they will be able to tell you what grant or program is best for you.

    Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Thanks for responding lady-t. I am hoping I can get this accomplished. It will be very hectic, school, four kids and a full time job. I am torn on how much I am going to miss and deciding if it is really worth missing. Ugh, decisions, decisions:)

    Answer by kelli232000 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • You can do it,it will be hard,but,worth it in the long run,also try to look into some online classes.

    Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • First, you have to be accepted to a college, then fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA is the federal application for financial aid. It is how the school or other scholarship agencies know what you are eligible to recieve. It is NOT grant or scholarship money. It does tell you if you are eligible for a Pell grant or student loan and the amount that you COULD recieve. Talk to the financial aid office at the school you will attend, they will be able to help you too. There is a website that you can see what other scholarships you are eligible for, I think it is

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • go to your local community college with an original copy of your HS diploma or GED, enroll in the school for about 30 bucks, take the placement tests, go to the financial aid office with your tax returns and ask them to help you fill out FASFA, wait for an answer from fasfa, and then if all is good, go to the advising office and they will help you make your schedule. my community college even has a free daycare center.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • My husband got money from the unemployment agency they have a program called WIA and work 1st ..and also .. FASFA

    Answer by Jbabie69 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • contact the school you want to attend. Their financial aid people can help you find the right grant for you

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • You guys are great! Things that should have been so obvious, but I never thought of doing! A duh moment for sure I guess:) I appreciate you all helping so much. Jbabie69, did your husband also work full time? I don't really know what the WIA and work 1st is. I currently work at one of the elementary schools in my town but what I would love to do is go to school during the day and work after my children go to bed (just part time at a Walmart or somewhere like that). My reasoning is that I would get to see my children as much as I do know, and I would still be bringing "some" money in to help out. I am going to need a lot of encouragement for sure!

    Answer by kelli232000 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009


    Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.