Helping a friend, but dont really know where to begin.

Here is my friends income at the lowest it is 400 a monthy and the highest it is 600 a month. this are her bills: Rent: 109.00 ( Housing program 54.50 every 2 weeks) Rent-A-Center( washer/dryer) 84.00 monthly or 42 every two weeks.Phone bill is about 200.00 ( doesnt have long distance) Finaces fines ( 3 of them) 100.00 each so thats 300.00 a month Odds and ends100-150 a month. IN all they spend 793.00 montly with only an income of about 200 -300 every 2 weeks. I really want to help because they do have a child and i know hwo it is to have a child but i just dont know where to even start with savings on this one. Any ways to cut/spending or budgeting tricks would HELP. I DO MEAN ANY TRICKS OR TIPS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• 200 for a phone bill? That's where they need to start with cutting. Use email - public libraries have free internet. Also, there's a welfare program now offering cell phones - Tracfone? I've heard it advertised, not sure how it works.

Answer by missanc at 11:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• For one I would say that they dont necessarily need that washer and dryer. Why it is more convenient they would pay less at the laundry mat a whole lot less. She def needs to find a new phone service. I pay $125.99 a month and I have Comcast 3 deal with Cable, Internet and Phone and I have long distance and I get up to channel 300. I dont know what their odds and ends are but I hope its stuff they desperately need and they should be using coupons and buyin on sale. If they dont get food stamps. then they should probably apply and try applying for caps so the baby can go to child care so they can pick up more hours. Hope that helps.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Definitely get rid of the rent a center washer and dryer! In the long run they are going to pay twice what it retails for. They could go to the laundry mat and save for a used washer and dryer.
    Finaces fines ( 3 of them) 100.00 each so thats 300.00 a month? What are finance fines?
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The washer drier prob. could go they are sepending more than they would going to the laundrymat. The 200 phone bill -- HUH that sounds ridiculous -- there is NO WAY that bill should be so high. So that's one place to start.
    If they are paying out $300/month on finance charges alone -- something is wrong. First if all you pay are the finance charges then the money you owe is going to stay there or grow bigger. So they need to work out those finance charges -- consolidate them and/or pay MORE on them.
    Washer/Drier -- HAS TO GO, TODAY!!!!!
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the washer and dryer need to go!! they can get a used one for like 50 on craigs list that will work just fine and its a one time payment. the phone needs to go to or at least better service. and they need to cut out the odds and ends unless it is a need not a want!! and what are these fines??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The fines are for the fincace its throught the courts he has to pay them or he goes back on probation, they get food stamps and medical throught welfare BUT welfare TOLD them they MAKE TO MUCH to qulaify for cash assistance. My friend currently has medical peoblems that prevent her from working nad also livign in a VERY small town there isent much work but there are jobs out there but its onw of those deal of its who you know instead of how qualified you are for the job.
    FirstTimeMom102

Answer by FirstTimeMom102 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Washer & dryer needs to go. She could buy a used set for $100 or less. Phone needs to go. A prepaid cell phone would be better & cheaper. Use coupons with the foodstamps . If she has medical problems & can't work then she needs to get on disability.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• What is the boyfriend doing? He should be working. Get rid of the washer/dryer & get the most basic phone.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 11:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009