Helping a friend no clue where to start?

Here is my friends income at the lowest it is 400 a monthy and the highest it is 600 a month. this are her bills: Rent: 109.00 ( Housing program 54.50 every 2 weeks) Rent-A-Center( washer/dryer) 84.00 monthly or 42 every two weeks.Phone bill is about 200.00 ( doesnt have long distance) Finaces fines ( 3 of them) 100.00 each so thats 300.00 a month Odds and ends100-150 a month. IN all they spend 793.00 montly with only an income of about 200 -300 every 2 weeks. I really want to help because they do have a child and i know hwo it is to have a child but i just dont know where to even start with savings on this one. Any ways to cut/spending or budgeting tricks would HELP. I DO MEAN ANY TRICKS OR TIPS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Suggest that instead of renting a washer and dryer (which raises electric/water bills...) they go to a laundry depot. I spend approx. 15$ a trip, 4 times a month. Total that's 60, in comparison with the 84/month for rent-a-center, and whatever increase it causes in the electric bill. I don't know what phone service they have, but they should either limit their long distance calls...or switch services. I pay 59/month for U.S. Cellular 700 plan. They should both have a job, if possible. And look into state assistance. If they're getting housing assistance, they should also be eligible for medicare plans, food stamps, etc. GL
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Can she get rid of the phone and buy a pay as you go phone for about 19.99 at Walmart? With AT & T you can still call other AT & T customers without using your minutes. That would be my first recommendation. Rent-a-Center washer and dryer needs to go as well. That is way too much to spend per month. You can pick up a cheap set at a company that sells new- sometimes they have old sets that they fix up and sell for cheap- otherwise check the Goodwill and Salvation Army, or ask around for a free set- perhaps on Craigslist. I'm not sure what the finance finds are, but if you don't have money to pay them, I certainly wouldn't. If they are not big loans, trust me they won't bother to sue. It might cost more money in the long run for them to do so. I might also look into a credit counseling company for them. Hope that helps.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would get rid of the Rent A Center washer and dryer and find a used one. Where I am from you can find them for about $50 a piece. I would talk to the finance companies and tell them I will pay them what I could every month most of the time they will work with you if you just let them know. Why is the phone bill so high? I would cut that down to the bare minimum. There is a guy named Dave Ramsey who I would google and see if you can get any good budget tips from. You might could even ask this question on his website for good tips.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i'd get rid of the washer dryer as well. the phone bill is crazy, my cell phone for 2 phones w/long distance isn't that high. his fines, i'm assuming are some sort of court thing? if so, maybe he can go in and talk to someone w/a copy of paychecks for the last few times and ask if theres a way to cut them down to a lower payment. if they qualify for housing assistance they'd qualify for other assistance as well. and either the person not working needs to start working opposite of the other person, or the person working should get a second job. this way they don't have to pay childcare costs. its not ideal in that they won't see each other much, however its what has to be done til they someone is making enough to live off one income.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with the previous posts. If I can interject something else... why is the income so low? Maybe one (or both) of the parents should consider getting another part time job. I understand that there are a lot of low paying jobs but somebody needs to pick up the slack for the sake of their child. Is there extenuating circumstances here that prevent the ability to work? If so, I would look into government assistance. It is there for the people who really need help and are not able to do for themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My friend currently connot work because of medical reason she has a slippped disk adn a pinched nerve that they ( doctors) are debating on weather or not she should have back surgery and so the doctor put her on medical leave until the 1st of september maybe even longer and she also has truoble with her heart. They do recieve medical and food stamps from welfare but they told her that her fionces makes too much to qualify for cash assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The phone bill is crazy and with that kind of income the rent-a-center washer and dryer seem crazy as well, but really this is up to them and you can't make them do anything. Did they ask you for advice? The answers seem obvious and if they are not choosing to make the changes then I am guessing they don't want to make the changes. Don't drive yourself crazy over someone else's problems. The answers are clear as day!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• A landline shouldn't coast more than $45 a month. She can go to a laundromat instead of renting the washer and dryer.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Seriously her fiance needs to make more money. Another job delivering pizza at night, or working in a restaurant. They need to bring in more money, he can't possibly make too much with the numbers you quoted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009