I'm looking to buy a train set for my DS second birthday nexy month. I have been looking at Thomas train set and Geotrx which one does your LO have?

Rochelle976

Asked by Rochelle976 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My LO doesn't have either. 10$ for a train (not even a set with it, just the TRAIN!) for a thomas engine..is ridiculous when a cardboard box from the grocery store makes him just as happy. My advice would be to look into a wooden building block train set (they have wooden pegs on each car and blocks you can put on the pegs so you can build each car). It encourages motor skills, creativity, color recognition, and shape recognition. And if the kid chews on it, he's not as likely to break it, or choke on a small part. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't know if you're thinking of a plastic set or a wood set. But we got the Toy's R Us (Imaginarium) brand wood train set which is compatible with Thomas and added a few Thomas cars. It's a lot cheaper. I agree, Thomas is ridiculousy expensive.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son has Thomas The Train Trackmaster set. The wooden set is way more expensive which is suprising since it doesn't eat the batteries like the Trackmaster set does. My son has Thomas, Emily (his fav), Spencer, James, and Arthur. The extension tracks varies on price ranges from 9.99 to 19.99. Not to mention the cars that goes on the trains it's 9.99 for 3 cars to go on each locomotive. I say we spent over 100.00 on his so far give or take. It's a good investment to us because our one yr old will play with our 3 yo it helps when you have all boys. No different then spending tons more on girls. At least it's not the stuff from cars. I spent more money on the Cars stuff.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 11:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Thomas and Imaginarium trains. Sure, they're a little pricey, but they last for a long time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son has had both, the plastic thomas and wood track, Geotrack. They are all loved toys, but Thomas needed my help to set up track and so forth. With Geotrack, even at age 2, my son could do the remote control and set up track by himself after seeing it done a few times. We even bought the train table at target for a christmas present to accomodate all our trains.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have some Thomas pieces (mostly engines). The tracks all came from IKEA (two boxes of track, one including an engine and three cars for $25!). We're looking at getting some Melissa and Doug cars/tracks and probably a few Brio cars/engines as well (Brio has some really unique European model engines we'd like to include in the collection). The great thing is, ALL of this stuff is interchangable!
    Right now all his pieces are kept in a bucket. When he's a little older and more able to set things up and move the trains around, we're going to make a big permanent track on a table in his room.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I got my son the Thomas the Train table set for his 2nd birthday.. and he was just too young for it. He LOVES Thomas - and absolutely loves playing with the table sets that are set up in different stores.. however those sets are NAILED down - which makes a HUGE difference.. and I don't want to put nails in his table because this toy will grow with him throughout the years - I want him to be able to change the tracks/use it as a great creative outlet.

I boxed it back up and will probably regift it at his 4/5th birthday.. So I'd probably suggest NOT doing a Thomas set....
    KristenFowles

Answer by KristenFowles at 12:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009