Leftover when visiting....

So we just had a couple over for lunch. It was a last minute thing, the husbands wanted to do something and I suggested that we do something as a family. So I made some T-Bones, corn, asparagus, macaroni and cheese and some dinner rolls. The other couple wound up bringing a pie over and some fruit which was really nice because they did not have to bring anything. We never got to dessert and instead of leaving the pie and the fruit they took it home with them, they didn't even leave a slice or two. I thought that this was kind of rude my husband not so much. So I was just wondering what other people take on it was. When you go to someone house and you bring something do you leave the leftovers? Some of the leftovers or what? (oh and I am going to post anon because she might have an account and I really do not want to start anything)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if it wasn't touched, i'd offer to leave some for them and take the rest home if it was a good friend. if its someone i don't know too well i'd just leave it b/c i would see it as rude if they fed me and then i turned around and took what i brought home.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think that what they did was a little rude, I was brought up to believe that when you bring a "gift" (thats what the dessert and fruit were) over to someone's house that it is theirs now. Whether you eat it or not you leave it.
    apple_bottom

Answer by apple_bottom at 11:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Lol, you don't think she'd know it was her from the fact that you spelled out the exact menu they enjoyed? Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky...

Anyway, I usually leave some of the left overs and take the rest. After all, I'm not heading out of your house with a platefull of food for lunch tomorrow, am I? I wouldn't take offense if my guests didn't, though. I don't think it's RUDE not to leave them or anything, it's just nice to do it... KWIM?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I do think it was rude. I have been to a dinner where I brought dessert and never got around to it and left the whole pie there. I have also left some of the leftovers if I have brought a meal to someone elses house. I wouldnt make a big issue of it but I would think about going out next time rather than having them over.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes it's rude!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Wow you guys answered fast!! Oh honestly as dumb as this may sound I never even though of that, now I feel bad. I am not very good at this anon thing. I was telling hubby I would imagine taking a few slices because obviously if they bought it they probably wanted the pie, or just leaving a couple of slices. But I was thinking along the same lines as you guys. When we went to someones house as a kid you always left the extras because the host went through a lot of trouble and it would save them making a meal or two. Obviously I am not super mad about it but I kind of wanted some pie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Wow. I guess I have terrible manners or something. :( I suck.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• yea its rude but doubt it meant anything.. id look at it as a plus one less of a fatty thing going to my hips!
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I always leave it..
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Whenever I take food over to someone's house, whether for dinner or potluck, if no one touches what I brought (or even if they did), I always leave *most* of it for them, and take a couple servings with me back home in the original dish. Unless they tell me they don't want anymore leftovers, then I take the whole thing home.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009