what would you do?

dd is 3 weeks old. I just got my supply back up to where it should be after a drop due to a 5 day hospital stay. I've been breastfeeding and pumping daily and breastfeeding nightly. I don't mind doing it all as I only wake up twice and if I don't I'm engorged by morning. well dh offed to give me a night off as she usually only drinks 2-3 oz per feeding and we have 10 oz in the fridge. I just really want to save that milk for when we need it. plus I don't want my milk supply to decrease again. what would you do in my shoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rejoice that he offered and take him up on it. The milk won't last forever in the refrigerator anyway. It is understandable about your worry about the supply. I'm not sure what to say about that, except that usually the supply would build back up again to accommodate the baby. But it is so wonderful to have a husband who would make this offer. Let him do it so that he gets that bit of bonding in with the baby and so that he feels he is contributing and helping out.

Answer by Bmat at 12:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'd probably say not to use the milk, but if I had to wake from a niiiice sleep I'd say yea hubbie go ahead and use some of the reserve.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm conflicted on what I would do in that situation. If you're pumping daily, then you'll be able to rebuild the stash quickly. However, I also wouldn't want to chance another supply drop...especially since you just got it back up. Maybe you can throw in an extra pumping session to make up for the miss if your hubby feeds the baby? I think that would be a good solution.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• "I" would say thanks but no thanks. I would continue to feed my baby on demand to protect my supply. If you really need it, one night probably won't hurt but it may. If you do just don't make a habit of it. =)
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'd keep nursing and save the milk for going back to work or for an emergency.

I foolishly blew my stash on leave.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009