question about signatures (the one you handwrite on contracts.. not on here)

i know this will probably sound trivial. but are there really any legal requirements as to how a person's signature should be written?

everyone seems to have nice handwriting/signatures..
i only write awesome in print. or so everyone says (i'm an art student and my cursive sucks. how funny is that?)

i had an idea to have my signature in plain cursive, but backwards (think "da vinci"-i'm a lefty so i guess it's easy to write the wrong way/mirrored. i like to write personal things backwards. but my father said it would've been invalid... is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My stepdads signature is just a bunch of circles and it's always been like that. I think as long as you keep it consistent that way it shouldn't matter.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I've always wondered if I could change my signature too!! Sadly, my signature looks like chicken scratch. I hate signing my name that particular way but was afraid to change it since it wouldnt match my other documents.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i would guess that if its a legal document than it needs to be cursive or print. as far as changing the way you sign it, as long as its still you're name and you signing it, it doesn't have to be an exact match, unless you have something somewhere (the bank a credit card company etc...) that states not to pay anything unless it is an exact match than you'd have to just change it. but i used to sign my full name, however that was before i started to manage retail and had to sign my name there 30-100 times a day on deliveries, letters etc..so now i don't sign my full name just a first initial and last name and i've never been told that it isn't a legal signature
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i attempted to look it up and apparently in some states signing with an "X" is good enough...
    but i guess like you said, drs1206, as long as i keep it consistent. that makes sense.
    -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2009