Can someone please explain this to me????

My dd has a friend who is Jehova's witness. My dd invited this girl to her b-day party. The friend's mom, said she would be allowed to go as long as it is not on her actualy b-day. Why does that matter? She is still celebrating her b-day w/ her. Why does it make a difference if it is not on her actual b-day? I'm not trying to start drama I'm really curious.

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 12:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know, but I didn't think they were allowed to celebrate any birthdays or holidays at all, so I would think it wouldn't make a difference if it was on your dd's birthday or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Why not just ask her Mom?? Just tell her you would like to understand where she is coming from, and to understand her religion, ect. If done non-confrontationally most ppl are happy to share their beliefs. Well, that's what I'd do any ways!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• JW does not celebrate birthdays orChristmas, bcareful they will try to indoctrinate her with this erroneous belief ,look up JW cult on google. It is decieving. They are works cult imo, that shun the outside world and are dangerous for a child to be influenced by.Get her to a regular Gopel church b4 she gets confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Gospel , like Baptist maybe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I can not just take someone else's child to church w/ me w/out her parent's consent. She is a good kid. Very polite and respectful. They do not try to force their beliefs on us @ all. The mom actually said to me "It's nice to know your dd is involved in church, even if its not the same type of church."
    So anyone else?
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My guess is that this mom really wants to allow her child to participate. When I was growing up JW birthday parties weren't allow even if it wasn't the actual birthday.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• well,JW are very strict with their rules. but they should look closer into the bible because they claim to be in the Truth, but yet they dont observe the Holy Feasts, and they dont know all the Truth anyway....celebrating is celebrating, so she allowed her daughter to celebrate a Birthday,- if you celebrate Hallowen on Oct. 20, that is still celebrating Halloween ! jeesh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It sounds a bit like trying to be "technically" OK, if NOT on actual birthday, then it's not a sin???? Sounds like she is trying to justify letting her go and still hang on to her religious belief. It's a fine line...
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY DON'T DO ANY KIND OF CELEBRATION AS PART OF THEIR FAITH.

Answer by older at 11:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It is an attempt to exploit a loophole & any serious Jehoah's Witness wouldn't do it. Not celebrating a person's birth means not celebrating it, not just not celebrating it on the day of their birth. It is not unheard of though, some JWs who don't want expelled from their community but don't wish to follow the strict rules of the religion often use loopholes. Those who take that faith seriously don't try to find ways around following it. In the future I would avoid asking that friend to any celebrations. If your daughter feels strongly about not leaving her out perhaps the 2 of them could go out for a fun day (movies, putt-putt, etc.) using money your daughter recieves as a gift or something. That way the friend won't be celebrating your daughter's birthday, but they will still get to do something fun as a result of your daughter celebrating.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009