Should nose piercing's be prohibited in public schools?

My 13 year old daughter was sent home from school the other day, 3 days, yes it took them 3 days to notice it, into the new school year, for having her nose pierced. Her options were to remove it permanatly or be sent home. She called me and I went to pick her up. I advised the principal and super of the school that my daughters nose piercing was no more distracting than a child coming to school with bright pink or blue hair. I was willing to compromise but was told it had to be removed or they will continue to send her home. I do not feel this rule is fair and this is my daughters freedom of expression. No different than what shirt she decides to wear to school every day. She had never been a discipline issue and is overall a good student. Yet, 2 students caught with drugs last year were allowed to return to school?? The district has more to worry about then my daughter nose piercing.

JR62250

Asked by JR62250 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i'd have a problem with that. i don't see how it is distracting or an issue in any way, unless it specifically states in the papers you signed that they can't have a nose ring than i'd raise hell.
    however, she does need to go to school, so i'd just tell her to take it out before she gets on the bus and put it back in as soon as she gets off the bus if thats what it takes.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I don't have a problem with piercings, nose, eyebrow, whatever. I mean what about the kid with 8 earrings or the kid with blue or pink hair. But if it is stated in the dress code or somewhere in their policies that facial piercings are not allowed, then your daughter needs to abide by the rules.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• They updated the handbook over the summer and it states..."no visible piercing's other than in the ears." My daughter's nose ring is very small and I can get a smaller one for her. She hasn't had it long enough to leave it out for extended periods of time. I feel as though the school is dictating to me what I can do with my child outside of school. I'm so frustrated with the whole situation.
    JR62250

Answer by JR62250 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You should go talk to the superintendent that is clearly discriminatory!! My step daughters have all kinds of piercing and if someone starting telling them they had to remove them in order attend school believe me I would be raising HELL!! They are all great students and active in sports and academia, having piercings should be allowed!! If the district or anyone does not change their policies you take it to the media!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• you should teach your kids to follow the rules plain and simple
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have sent e-mails to 2 local news stations. My fear is that they are going to argue all piercing's. My only concern is my daughter. I hope I can change the policy for all students that have their nose pierced but I need other parents to help me. I feel like I'm on my own here and i don't know what to do. I want to fight hard for my daughter. I don't want to let her down. This is important to her.
    JR62250

Answer by JR62250 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Does my daughter's nose ring offend you? She's not hurting anyone and this is her freedom of expression. I have tattoos and that is my choice. That's my freedom of expression. She's a great girl, wonderful to be around and spirited.
    JR62250

Answer by JR62250 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Is this a public school? Not to be too nosey, but where? I honestly have never about anything like that. Piercings are not my thing and I would not allow my child to do that, I am also a rule follower, but REALLY do not see how a pierced nose is reason to send someone home. In short, not my cup of tea, but if its yours why is that a problem?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• There is a difference between following rules and being passive of clear discriminatory behavior. She is teaching her daughter to be strong and the difference between right and wrong. Just because the way she looks may be offensive to some doesn't mean it should be prohibited...she has the freedom of expressing herself in her own fashion sense!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• oops, duh! just re-read the post about it being Public School. That is very strange! Where are you?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2009