Beauty pageants for children?

Has anyone else seen that reality show "toddler and tiaras" or something like that? Would you ever put your child in a pageant like this? Is it just me, or do some of these moms seem to be unhealthily living through their children? I always think the little girls look WAY cuter natural, and i honestly think sometimes the make-up and fake teeth and hair just looks creepy. Who would want a 4 year old to look 30?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the pageants are disgusting and they are like Heaven to a child predator. I hate that TV show you are referring to, and I think I sort of hate TLC for even putting it on. TLC should change it's name for The Learning Channel to The Exploitation Channel.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• That show is so sick . Those moms UGH .
    I would NEVER do that to my baby
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i've seen only a few minutes of that show here and there. It honestly makes me sad (and creeped out) to watch it. I really don't get why a parent would do that to their child? And i'm not being judgement, i just really don't get it!?!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Most of the moms do seem over into and many of the kids are ridiculous. But there have been a few mom and dd that are just normal and out to have fun and don't go overboard so I have to admit that watching the show has made me feel a little curious for my own DD -- it would prob. never happen and be totally close to imp. for me b/c I don't have time not to mention that I'm anything BUT a girly girl BUT>>>>> I think my dd would prob. love it b/c she loves to model outfit and has an incredible personality (she's just funny) and SHE would like it (which after all is the point of the activites we put ore kids into)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I know, citymama. I would never teach my daughter to focus so much on outward beauty. They'll have enough of a hard time dealing with superficiality when they're older. They definitely don't need to be competing...or even aware of it at all...at such a young age.Half the time the little girls look miserable, but like I said, the moms are trying to live through their daughters.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009