Getting a baby kitten tomorrow to bottle feed...any tips?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pets

• they sell the bottles and nipples at any pet store and i think they also have kitty formula, your kitty should be ok with that i guess
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• YES! My mom and I bottle fed a baby kitten a couple years ago. It was abandoned in our backyard by it's mother. Anyway, when you do, be sure to also keep the baby very warm, we used a heating pad in it's bed. That will help stimulate it's little bowels. And, you may want to put a little bit of Karo Syrup in the formula. Helps them go to the bathroom easier. And be sure to rub it's tummy, and make sure it is going potty regularly. Otherwise,it will get constipated VERY easily. We learned the hard way,and that's where I got all the info, from our vet. Against all odds, our kitten survived. Best wishes, hope all goes well.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• it depends on how old the kitten is...if hes not ready to be weaned than yes u need a bottle and kmr (kitten milk replacer) and u will need to feed him every 2-3 hrs around the clock also u will need to help it go to the bathroom...u do that by takeing a soft cloth and rubbing his privates intill he goes, also u will need to keep him warm a covered heating pad if u live in a cool climate will work but if hes at or beyond the weaning age just get some soft kitten food and canned food, the canned food he should get 2-3 times a day and the kitten food all day long
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had to do this w/one of our cats kittens from her very first litter. I had a very,very hard time getting him to suck the baby bottle. I went to CVS and bought a medicine syringe. I filled it and was very careful not to allow him to get ANY up his nose. If it does it can cause him to get the liquid in his lungs-then he could could get a lung infection. I had my little guy at the point he could actually suck the formula out of the syringe himself. I would watch the plunger go down on its own lol! He is now full grown,nutered and a bundle of trouble. Good luck!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009