what to do when your teenager cant find a job and does nothing but sleep and play games and has attitude on top of all this?

the only thing he does and it is not very good is the dishes is this bad on my part?and how can i make him go out and make money when no one is hiring in this little neck of the woods

Dazzydazz

Asked by Dazzydazz at 1:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Noone is hiring in Las Vegas either.
    Have him do lawn mowing or raking leavese for the neighbors stuff like that . Heck have him go paint old folks homes .
    Kick him out at sunrise and dont let him back in til sun down LOL
    I grew up working on farms and that is how it was for us.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Stop paying for his unnecessary crap. My mom has my almost 20 year old brother living with her right now, and he hasn't been in school since he was 16, because she keeps paying for his car, his car insurance, giving him money to eat out, buying his baby's formula and diapers (wow, do I sound like I come from a white trash family or what? lol)... she even bought his live-in girlfriend (YES she even let him have a live-in girlfrined!) tampons and makeup. You pay for his food, the utilities he uses, rent/mortgage and his medical expenses and THAT'S IT. He doens't get gas money, he doesn't get an allowance. If that doesn't motivate him to do SOMETHING for money and be constructive with his time I don't know what will.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• first, take the games away. Although he may not be able to get a paying job, does he live at home(use the shower, lights, heat & a/c)? does he wear clothes (that need to be washed)? does he eat food (you buy)? There's no reason why he can't be responsible and do household chores, especially if he doesn't work outside the home and you do. If he's still in school (in which case he should'nt be sleeping too much and playing games), then he still needs some responsiblities. If he's graduated high school, and not going to college, and not working, then he really needs responibilities. He may not be able to find a job that pays, but he should be doing something productive with his time. He may be a teenager right now, but do you want him behaiving like this when he's 30?
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• hire him yourself..... either for spending money, room/board, or rent & fees on things he has like cell phone and nice new school clothes.

wash car
    rake leaves
    dishes done WELL
    whatever.

and get a volunteer job while looking for a real one!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Tkae away the games you bought him, unless they were a birthday or Christmas gift and tell him he will have to buy them back either from you or the store. Also turn off the power to his room then he can't do anything. Make him do yard work to earn things. Tell him when you go out to eat or anything he will have to earn his own money and buy his way in!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Take away the games and gaming systems, lock the computers with a password that changes from week to week. Until he does chores around the house he can't get these back. If that still doesn't work, Don't let him drive, or don't give him money to drive the car. Even if he drives to school. IF he has to ride the bus until he figures out a way to earn money, so be it. So while chores may not get done, at least he's out and working. Believe me the bus will make him get real creative on earning money. Mowing the laws, raking when fall comes along. There is work to be found. And fast food is almost always hiring. I hate reccomending Fast food to anyone, but sometimes you've got to deal. As for the attitude, if he shows you no respect, do not return it. I'm not saying throw insults or act like him. But treat him like a child. Early curfew, strict in home dress code, etc. Until he can be a respectful adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• im in the same boat,my 17 year old stepson lives with us full time,i even paid him 20 dollars to do the dishes and every one was dirty so we asked him to clean his bathroom (guest bathroom) he said no.he is failing every class and its only into the 3 week,he failed last yr too.i told hubby i dont want to live with a 20something yr old that isnt going to do anything around the house or work,he said he isnt gonna kick his kid out...thats not what i meant.so ...i need this answer too
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think the more rotten they act, the more structure they need! A real paying job, working in a soup kitchen for volunteer work, doing puzzles and being social at a nursing home. Every town has a habitat for humanity these days.

If they are allowed to get bored and have too much free time, they get horrible. I was a nasty teenager but I know what could've saved me and I know what does/doesn't work. Busy is good. Not busy leads to them coming up with their own activities. Obviously the more destructive options include gangs, sex, drinking, etc. But the less destructive but still very unhealthy choice is being rude, lazy, slacking in school, etc.

Make 'em work. Get a tutor. College prep work, sell their shit on craigslist if they wont help out. Or at least make an ad showing them that you are.... prove you're serious, mean business.

you really only have to put the smack down for a short time to turn them around. ... cont....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• cuz once they know you mean business, then you're in business baby!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I don't worry about it. I am more worried about ME finding a job. It is really hard for teens to get jobs because there are responsible adults that are looking for jobs and will take anything they can get. Make him do chores around the house, cut grass for elderly neighbors or family members.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2009