back labor

what does back labor feel like??

how long does it last??

does it feel like somthing is sticking you and your back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Back labor is when a mom goes into labor with her baby in the "posterior" position. That means that the baby's back is pressed into the mom's back.
    Usually, the baby is laying with his/her back in the "hammock" of her belly (out by the belly button).
    This less-common position can mean that when contractions start squeezing, baby gets really pressed into mom's back~ ouch!
    It can last through part or all of labor.

There are exercises moms can do to encourage baby into the "hammock" of her belly before & during labor. And sometimes the contractions themselves are able to get baby to turn, also.

I have attended back labor, it is hard work but do-able. The mom needed my physical help, as a doula, more than usual. She really needed her confidence boosted, to be told she COULD do this. The dad & I really had to work hard to keep her comfy, but she still had a wonderful natural delivery with her baby "sunnyside-up!"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• With my 3rd baby I had back labor. I labored for 2 days and didnt really understand what was happening to me. It was very painful, I just thought I had done something to my back. Then I clued in and started timing them. Yep baby was ready to come out!!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The other answers pretty much said it. I just want to add that back labor hurts like a *&&&%$#$! I had it with my dd. I do not remember anyything close to hurting that bad.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2009