my 3 month DD doesn't want breastmilk?

i think she only wants to bf when she wants to go to sleep or just woke up and is not crying, but if she is really hungry and crying she wants formula, why is she acting like this? she is also teething already

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 2:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• because the formula makes her feel fuller. It has a ton of sugar in it. it's like junk food for babies.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• not to mention that the nipple is easier for her to suckle from.
    outstandingLove

• so would it be a good idea to get those nipple things to put on the breast?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 2:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i honestly dont know sense i have never breastfed. ..i've never even given birth. my baby's grew in my heart, not in my belly.

However, i believe that the nipple guards only work for babies who have trouble latching. ...i'm not sure if it would work for a nipple confused baby. But you could try?
    Or join a breastfeeding group here on CM and ask.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree that the formula is faster for her because she doesn't have to wait for the let down...the best thing to do is watch your baby and read the hunger cues such as rooting...when a baby cries they are already hungry you want to feed them before they start crying...that should help. The nipple shield won't make much of a difference I don't think...you can try it, but she'll still have to wait for the let down and if yours takes a while...a crying baby doesn't want to wait. Good luck!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i don't know if it is nipple confusion because she takes the breast at night when she is ready for bed, and also when she wakes up and is not crying
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I doubt it's nipple confusion or likely she'd refuse the breast...I'd stop giving formula and bottles unless you absolutely have to and just use the breast until she gets more used to it. I think it's because she doesn't like waiting for the let down because shes already upset and hungry and it takes more energy for babies to breastfeed than suck from a bottle. You said she'll take it when she's not crying...crying is a late sign of hunger. pm me if u have any questions I've breastfed my son for 1 year now and he's done great!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• thank you =) i think she just doesn't want to wait for the let down
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• thank you britni
    i felt odd giving advice on a subject i have only read about. ...but no one had responded yet so i tried to help. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• thank you outstandingLove you are very kind
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2009