natural birth or c section..

My partner & I are looking into our birth plan and have weighed up our options and my partner works full time and baby is due in decmeber and he doesnt no how much time over christmas he will get off...making it hard not knowing when our little one will get here.. and him possibly not getting there in time would be devistating to him and myself as its our first.... out hospital said we can chose to have a c section or natural birth.. i was just wondering if there was anyone out there who is or has been in this situation and what worked for you ? what are the pros and cons to both proceedures... all answers appricaited.

Nicole_Anne

Asked by Nicole_Anne at 2:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• c-section is major abdominal surgery. weeks of recovery and often times you dont get to see or hold your baby right away. which can make bonding and breastfeeding difficult.

I strongly encourage you to check out Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth. It's a group here on CM.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Im expecting too, have had either experience but from what I know they wont do a C-section until you are 40weeks, if it is planned, so what if you go into labor before 40 weeks, and you do a c-section, will he be able to make it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• you're really 50/50 there.

he'd miss a LOT of work to care for u and baby after c section.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yeah theres always the possibility that you go in labor before 40 weeks and he wont make it anyway
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• it's your 1st baby? labor takes FOREVERRRRRRRR. he'd make it, I promise.

what u see in movies is BS.... it's slow and boring as hell. Rarely dramatics like you wake up in a pool of water and the head sticking out.... not with a 1st kiddo. You'd call him when u felt contractions or BAD back pain... he'd have lotsa time sweetie
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would go natrual I went natrual and my SO and I finished delivering our DD once her head and shoulders were out we finished delievering her and it was amazing I have chills going thur my body every time i talk or think about it. That is my experience that's what I did when I was in your postion. GL and Congats
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• and w/ c section too he'd miss more work for the 4+ days you'd be in hospital.... it's rarely a good thing.

and how does he feel about cutting the cord? it's unlikely in a section.

and then you're in the yuckkky place of possibly being stuck having c sections for your future babies..... if u want a natural birth next time it can be a real challenge to find a decent dr.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Um I have been told if you i opt for a c section baby will be taken at around 38 -39 weeks...im not expecting her to come early as she seems to be stubbornc but i guess anything can happen ... i feel i will be judged for choosing to have a c section if i do it makes it hard with my partner he has told me its my choice however im really confused as its my first and a huge decision to make.. i just want to make sure i consider everything befroe making my decisions.. i really want to breastfeed so this can be an issue too if you have a c section ? thank you outstandinglove ill check the group out... i appriciate your advice...
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 2:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my hubby is working and not taking any time off but he is just going to leave when I say im going into labor, he has already informed his bosses and other employees so every one is alert for shifts they may have to or not have to fill..

could he just talk to his employer and see if you go into labor while hes at work if he can just leave
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my obsertrician was a total bitch at my first appointment scaring me alot because im not the smallest of people she has told me that because of my weight there is a strong possiblity i wont be able to have a natural birth i am really stuck before seeing her i would never have thought of a c section i wanted to try it naturally with no drugs and then she started filling my head with yur over weight blah blah blah im not huge like she made out... i do have weight on me but nothing inwhich i feel would stop me from going naturally so she has me worried that no matter what i will need to have one...
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 3:03 AM on Aug. 30, 2009