Can someone please explain this to me????

My dd has a friend who is Jehova's witness. My dd invited this girl to her b-day party. The friend's mom, said she would be allowed to go as long as it is not on her actualy b-day. Why does that matter? She is still celebrating her b-day w/ her. Why does it make a difference if it is not on her actual b-day? I'm not trying to start drama I'm really curious.
PS I tried this in religion, but didn't really get an answer....

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 3:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• What?I don't get it what the hell does it matter if it's her B-day or not on her b-day?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I dont think they celebrate any holidays, someones b-day is just supposed to be another day,

im not sure, Im not a jahovas witness,
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• bump???/
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• firstly, it's spelled Jehovah's witness (it's suppose to be god's name so it's important)

I was raised as a Jehovah's witness (I am not one though)

If the mother is a Jehovah's witness then according to their beliefs she should not allow her daughter to attend a birth day party. The reason behind their reasoning is the only birthday that is mentioned in celebrating is where John the Baptist's head was given as a gift. As such they believe it's wrong to celebrate birthdays (I personally think the day my children were born were all days for celebration, that's just me)

On a side note the reason they do not celebrate holidays (other then passover) is because all holidays (yes I mean all christian holidays) are based on "pagan" holidays and as such Jehovah's witnesses believe that celebrating them is wrong as they do not come from the bible.

Jehovah's witnesses are not as bad as many believe, they are just logical (mostly)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• All holidays, including birthdays, are considered "pagan" and are not observed.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have studied Jehovah witnesses before and I am not one! Jehovah witnesses dont celebrate any Holidays which I believe is wrong to begin with due to the bible dose not say that we can not celebrate holidays!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well going by what these other ladies have to say about the faith, it sounds like the mom was trying to find a loop hole so that her daughter wouldn't feel left out. Maybe she grew up in the religion herself and always felt left out of parties and doesn't want her daughter to go through the same thing.

I'm just throwing ideas out here, I don't really know.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• According to the JW's that I've spoken to, the reason they do not celebrate birthdays is as the PP stated. There were only 2 birthday celebrations, and they both were by pagans and ended in tragedy. I believe that she decided that her daugher could attend the party as long as it was not ON the b-day is because at that point it's just a party.

And, Anon :04 ... While the Bible doesn't state that you can't celebrate holidays, doesn't mean it says you should either. There are no Holiday celebrations in the bible, and the JW's follow the book by it's literal word. There was no Christmas, Easter or other holidays like that, therefore they don't celebrate them.

It's just a different way of believing, and the most logical x-tian faith I've encountered. They don't "decipher" or "interpret" the bible, they follow it, in the best way possible in the current age.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had several friends of that faith. You cannot celebrate birthdays or pledge allegiance to countries or flags......it shouldn't matter that it is on or not on an actual birthday. The honoring of a birthday is elevating the status of that person and no one should be honored more than God and Jesus.  At least that is how all my friends have explained it to me.  When I was in school several children could never sing happy birthday or eat the cupcakes passed out.  I always felt very bad for them.  But if it was just a cupcake because you are having snack then that is okay.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• As a general rule I am open about my religious beliefs when my child is going to have a friend sleep over. I openly welcome questions. Maybe you can ask them to explain their religion to you.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009