birthday - nothing !!

i was with my boyfriend from 5pm until 1am today. today is my birthday, and my boyfriend of 2 years didn't get me anything.
he works whenever he wants (family business) and gets paid (the days he works).
5 days ago, he worked, blew his money out with his boys, food, and a little at the casino.
i didn't have a problem with it, it was his money.
but today is my birthday, he didn't get me a card, or a present or take me anywhere. it hit 12am and he was just like happy birthday.
i was very disappointed because i tried really hard to make him happy for his birthday and i know the reason is because he is low on money but don't you think at least he could have put a little effort into trying to make me happy.
am i being selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• i dont think you are being selfish.
    and yes, he could have put more effort into it. I'm sure it would've made you feel good if he would've tried to write a poem something equally as cheesy.
    my ex was kind of like you are describing. ...key word. EX

and just to mention, ...my DH is not very good at remember events. Our first year together he forgot my birthday. But i wasnt upset at all because it's something he cant help. Sense then he has made a huge effort to remember. lol but not because i asked him too, but just because he loves me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I don't think you are being selfish but in the other hand he is a man.. Alot of men don't remember or think about the special occassions unless we say something! As for me personally I don't expext presents or cards AS long as he at least acknowledges my birthday if not I would have his a$$!! Happy birthday by the way!!!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Happy Birthday!

Men remembering, card, present, dinner, something just don't go in the same sentence. I don't know what the problem is but, My man ALWAYS forgets so yes I get my own gifts and wrap them and open them in front of him. Nothing ever clicks so it is a fight that us women are never gonna win.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• no you are not being selfish whats so ever. I think "his a man" is an excuse. I hear a lot of women complaining cuz there dh don't help or what not, and other women answer "he is a man "blah blah blah, we don't get an excuse why should men.

By the way my hubby has never forgot my B-day or our anniversary, he has forgot his B-day one time but never mine

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My husband is like that! Birthday's to him were the day you were born, not every year. But when he gets stuff for his B-day, he doesnt complain at all. He to me is the selfish one. Because he doesn't buy gifts for anything other than Christmas. And lately thats been cheesy or non existant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Oh yea, my hubby also buys his kids things for everything. So I can really relate to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• He's a dick...dump him and find someone who gives a shit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• From the time I was first married I decided that I wasn't going to rely on my husband remembering. So if it is important to me, I remind him. It's much better than wondering if he'll remember and then being disappointed.

He remembered your birthday but didn't get you anything or do anything special? ... Maybe in his family birthdays aren't important. Be sure to tell him that you feel that your birthday is important, keep it calm and gentle, not accusing. And remind him next year. If it is important to you then he should do something even if he has to be reminded about the date.

A heartfelt Happy Birthday to you! ((( hugs )))

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Ive been with my hubby almost 4 years and I'm lucky if i even get only sex for my birthday or our anniversary.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• No, you are not being selfish. He should have done something for your birthday.

But I WILL ask...

Did you talk to him in advance about what you wanted to do?
    Did you discuss a birthday activity or dinner, or pick a restaurant?
    Did you mention something you'd really like as a gift?

Or did you silently wait with no clues or guidance, expecting him to pull out the stops without direction from you?

In short, did you tell him (in advance) what you wanted?
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2009