My son is 5 years old but he doesn't chew his food. He swallows it and we now first mash the food and then feed him. If we try to give solid food, he chokes. I have tried to make him learn to chew but failed completely. He is very lean and I am worried about his nutrition. Has anyone faced such problem? Is there a solution?

paramjeet

Asked by paramjeet at 6:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to talk to his doctor about this. His doctor can refer you to the proper specialists to figure out why he's not chewing and teach him how.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• sounds like he is wolfing down his food cause he is hungry...give him small portions, then give him more when hes finished the first bit...after a while he will realise if he slows down he can get more food...or if you want give him his drink BEFORE the meal so he already has something in his tummy...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:03 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I wonder if you could tell him that each of his (small) bites needs to be chewed (say) 5 times, then count as he chews one two three four five chews. If he refuses to bring his teeth together to make the chewing motion, maybe his teeth hurt or are poorly aligned, so a dentist may find an answer.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think the pps have good ideas, but I do think you need to talk to his Dr about this.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Talk to his dr first of all and if there is nothing wrong then he is old enough to be told he needs to chew his food up. I wouldn't mash his food up, I would just give him small portions at a time and tell him he better chew it up. My son is bad about just stuffing a bunch of food in his mouth and not chewing it and then ends up choking on it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I used to be like that..I LOVE MY FOOD.. and you can always give him Pediasure for extra or lack of vitamins he may be getting or not getting.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009