What, if anything, helped your LO when they were teething?

My dd is only 3 months and teething rings are too big for her mouth and the oragel says not to use until 4 months. Please help, she's miserable!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 7:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Infant tylenol drops every 4 hours. I also held my babies a lot when they were teething. Hope LO feels better soon. I don't know any natural remedies for a baby that young, but i know my boys Dr. says tylenol is safe to use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i used to take a washcloth..wet it and tie it in a knot, and then throw it in the freezer...she LOVED it! she would chew on it for a long time! and i would have a spare in the freezer so i could rotate them...one other thing i DID do in an emergency that worked VERY well...put a dab of wiskey on my finger and put it on her gums...was nervous doing it but my mother in law said it numbs the gums and its an old remedy...it did work!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the directions on the oragel are guideline. I used oragel on my son when he was teething at 2 months. the doctor said its okay...just dont over do it.

i gave my kids infant tylenol or infants motrin. I found that it works better to alternate the too. Such as, I would give my son motrin then four hours later give him tylenol then four hours later motrin again...it works better that way, i think...

my oldest never took a pacifier but my youngest did even though he stopped using it by three months. I kept them and would run them under water and put them in the freezer. When he was teething he would chew on them....that worked well too cause it numbed his gums.

they need alot of tlc and holding when they are teething.....

we all know how horrible this time is for them....i hope your dd feel better :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• do u know that the pacifier packages clearly state DO NOT FREEZE cause they become brittle and can break.. also baby orajel burns their gums and can actually toughen em making it harder for the tooth to break through, and cant have motrin at 3 months.. use teething tablets/gel or tylenol the teething gel is all natural with chamomile and works great they sell them at walmart and target, also pure vanilla extract on the gums works as well :) id stay away from whiskey it works by making them sleepy.. well gee wonder why!
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• peyton....i agree with the pacifier thing...freezing it CAN do that! i have witnessed it..LOL but the orajel...if the doc says its okay then its okay...never heard of the toughening of the gums though...never seemed to do that to my kids...but the wiskey thing your saying isnt true...your not getting enough wiskey to the child to make them sleepy...im not saying give her a shot! lol no your basically moistening your finger....and it never put my daughter to sleep the one time i did it....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• actually my pedi nurse told me about the orajel thing, and i guess i dont agree with giving a baby any degree of alcohol even if its just a moisture amount that is why there are new things out there so we dont have to do that, did you ask your infants if it toughened their gums? no.. well then you dont know.. it dont show/look different when it does that, according to my pedi they dont recommend it till they already have the tooth showing to use it , just going off what ive been told by the dr. and what ive read up on
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I used "pure" vanilla extract dip a cotton swab in the vanilla bottle, then rub/hold on the hurt. it works. try it on your mouth...to see. It has the same lasting time as oragel. Oragel is nasty. It works, but its nasty.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Popscicles! I love the frozen teethers.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the frozen washcloth works great for us, I just twist it up, get it wet in the middle and freeze, that way the outer part is dry for her hands and she can chew chew chew away and no chemicals!
    jenniferleah

Answer by jenniferleah at 10:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• BALTIC AMBER TEETHING NECKLACES! The are the best thing in the world! Do some research on them and learn about them (buy on ebay from europe the prices are much better)... we went through a very hard time with my son's first 4 teeth.. he was so "drugged" up on Tylenol, motrin, and teething tablets... now with his necklaces he only sometimes gets a dose of motrin before bed to help him and doesn't need anything during the day. It also helps with the drooling... he used to soak bibs like crazy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009