Do you go by this ?

Ephesians 5:22-33
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church — for we are members of his body.

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 7:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, put back into context and including verse 21 before it we do.

I was raised to believe that this passage meant that the wife had to obey her husband. Whatever the husband wants is whatever the family does (I once had a woman at my church who would have her husband approve her chosen haircut at the salon BEFORE they started cutting. Not because she valued his opinion but because if her appearance didn't please him she wasn't "submitting" to him). Sure, a loving, Christ-like husband would take the wife's needs into consideration with that interpretation of "submissiveness" before making the final decision but there's something to be said about fact that the wife cannot make a final decision herself, with that interpretation. (cont)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• CONT..........
    "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."[This is a profound mystery — but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I don't take anything in the Bible seriously. This god, if it exists, found it acceptable to kill children and then demand the blood sacrifice of an innocent (Jesus) to atone for the guilt of the majority (us), which was rather pointless and needless. So since this god is ethically weaker than I am, if it even exists, the last thing I'm going to listen to Him about is how I should structure gender roles in my marriage.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 8:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes, we 'go by that.' I'll be honest, it is fairly easy to trust your husband and submit to him when you only disagree once in a while because he loves you and places a greater importance on your feelings and thoughts, then he does on his own! I think many Christians forget that their marriage can be an amazing testimony to other christians and non-Christians of how much Christ loves us!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm with you slightlyperfect.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• What it boils down to is respect. Respect each other, be considerate of each other and love each other and then you won't have issues.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Paul states in Ephesians 5:21 that we are to submit to EACH OTHER. The description that follows about husbands and wives is a continuation of that, BOTH descriptions describe submissiveness, not just the wife's. Loving your wife, as Christ loved the church, modeled after Christ who made himself our servant and washed his disciples feet, is also a direction for submissiveness to each other under verse 21.

The Bible tells us that man and wife become one flesh. They are no longer two individuals serving their own needs but in oneness, submit to each other, sustaining their relationship by fulfilling the others needs. In that sense, yes, my husband and I do this. We take turns making decisions based on each of our strenghts and weaknesses. I consider him first in the decisions I make and vice versa.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:33 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Like your answer November :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Thanks :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yep,November said it best,and I agree with you. And, yes, I do do that. My husband is the spiritual leader of our family,and as such, I am to submit to him,and yes,he does to me,as well,and we greatly respect one another. And,the most important thing of all, of course, is we put God at the center of our marriage and our lives,and make Him the most important thing of all. In that respect, things always work out the way they are supposed to,as we both submit our will to God's will,as He always knows what's best for us.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009