School Lunches ( I need help)

My oldest son is starting school next month (sad for me, good for him, lol) and I dont want him to buy lunch everyday. When I get the school menu I figured I would let him buy lunch once or twice a week but on the other days, I want to pack his lunch. I figured I would give him a lunchable to take once a week since he really likes them. I dont know what else to pack other than bologna sandwiches. He cant have peanut butter so a pb&j is out of the question. What do you pack in your childs lunch? Any suggestions are helpful....thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids like a turkey and cheese sandwich, with a drinkable yogurt, some carrots, and animal crackers...plus a drink...
    dont forget if you cant have peanut butter there are alternatives like sunflower butter....my youngest has a thing for roast beef sandwich with ketchup on it (ew). and my oldest likes the turkey and cheese, with pickles, mayo, and lettuce...
    you could also do a salad...my kids love that too! just do a salad bowl, fork, dressing in a little container, some yogurt or cottage cheese, and a treat of some kind...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You can get a thermos and do soup and crackers. You can also do a salad if he likes those. How about a mini taco salad - put some corn chips in a tupperware and put lettuce, diced tomatoes, some of that pre-packaged chicken that you chunk up, whatever he likes, all mixed together and put in an insulated lunch box.

You can make chicken salad sandwiches, and tuna sandwiches if he likes those.

Also, you can make ham, turkey, or peperoni sandwiches, if he likes those, and put them in an insulated cooler with an ice pack in it.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Your child will come home from school with other ideas too! My kids like deli meat sandwiches with cheese, I also put in something crunchy and a fruit...You'll get used to it!!!
    zetta816

Answer by zetta816 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son loves lunchables, so I get the crackers,cheese ones and the chicken nugget ones, make lunch meat sandwiches, with applesauce, yougurt, teddy grahams, chips or whatever I have on hand.
    Rollups are a good way to change up the usual sandwich with tortilla. Even left over slice of pizza is a hit. You could get a thermos for hot food a walmart for a few dollars and make mac n cheese or cooked hot dog bite, spegetti o's. Don't go out of your way, use what you have, because thats what you already know he likes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Lunchables are worse than school lunches (Lots & Lots of salt) it's cheaper and healthier to buy the lunch meat , cut it up.. same with cheese and buy some crackers ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Lunchables are definitely NOT healthy. its way cheaper to cut your own meat,cheese and crackers.
    my girls get:

crackers and cheese and ham slices (my kids don't like sandwiches)
    leftover pizza
    homemade pizza pockets (ham and cheese)

fruit cups
    applesauce cups
    yogurt (tubes or cups)
    granola bars
    rice cakes
    jelly sandwiches
    fruit - apples, bananas, grapes

soup in thermos

sometimes junk like cookies and chips
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009