Vegetarian protein dishes in packed lunch?

Can you give me ideas for vegetarian protein dishes that I can pack for Felipe's lunch? They have a fridge at school but can't reheat anything. Thanks!! :o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 8:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a misconception about how much protein we need (though kids probably need more than adults) and how to get it. Protein is in all food, that's what gives it substance, food without protein would be nothing more than vitamins and water (like iceburg lettuce). It has also been recently discovered that food combining isn't as important as thought- it needs to be done through out the day, not in each meal. So as long as he's eating a variety of substantial foods throughout the day and eating enough, he's getting enough protein.
    That said, beans, grains, legumes, nuts, & seeds are all great sources of protein. PB&J is great, beans & rice is great, sunflower seeds or nuts, a veggie sandwich with hummus and/or falafel, tofu, pasta with some kind of sauce and mushrooms are all good. And I think all that stuff is good cold too, but that's about preference.
    Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 10:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Peeled hard cooked egg, cheese, nuts. Along with whole grain bread or crackers.

Answer by Bmat at 8:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yogurt

• tofu is good for protein!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• what about yogurt and peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• hey jellyphish, thanks for great info that other moms can read when they come to this question! Unfortunately it doesn't help me a lot - there is a rule at his school that he has to have one protein dish in every lunch. That's one reason I need more ideas! I am hoping to fulfill their requirement and at the same time pack lunches for Felipe that I like, b/c we have already had to resolve some differences of opinion on other things... so basically, thanks, but everyone else please keep the ideas coming! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Oooooh... well, the examples I gave are all protein dishes. Mushrooms, nuts, tofu, hummus, falafel.... are all high in protein. Is he vegan? I don't remember, If not you *could* use egg or cheese, but they aren't the healthiest source of protein and I always suggest not constantly relying on animal products for that reason. But they should fill the school's requirements.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Oh, and any kind of milk is high in protein too. Cow, soy, almond, hemp, etc, I think the only exception is rice.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes yes yes! they are all protein. I didn't mean to say, at all, that your suggestions weren't excellent. I just don't want to get iinto a debate with the school over whether or not something "counts" as a protein dish - I am hoping to get enough ideas for obviously-protein, vegetarian dishes in order to not have this ever become an issue.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• check this website...it is kid and teen friendly vegetarian lunches and ALL have protein included (like hummus or mushrooms) - btw i would tell a school to bite me if they said what i could and could not feed my child.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Kid_Friendly_Cooking_-_Kids_Vegetarian_Lunch_Ideas

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009