Desperatly need advice about my 8yr old daughters sleep habits. She keep saying she has bad dreams so she can climb in w/us in bed. She says her room scares her. I have tried lots of Ideas. Husband getting very frustraded cause he cannot sleep comfortably with her there.

Ohsillyme

Asked by Ohsillyme at 8:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do what we did for our six year old...we had daddy go buy a stuffed bulldog wearing a leather coat...told her since daddy bought it and because it was a tough doggy it would scare away the bad dreams...it works well! she would come in my room at night when she had a nightmare...i would cuddle her for a minute then tell her "wheres your doggy he will help!" and she would go back in her room and sleep with it...worked GREAT!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Every time, put her back in her bed. Several night lights, even leaving the bedroom light on. You can leave her door open so that she doesn't feel isolated. Let her surround herself with stuffed animals. But be firm about not letting her in your bed. If you allow it even once it will be much harder to help her to stop.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Try letting her sleep on the floor by your bed. This way you get to be comfortable and she gets to be near you. She will eventually realize sleeping on the floor isn't nearly as comfortable as her own bed.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• 1. Do a craft together and make a dream catcher, tell her it catches all the bad dreams.
    2. Make a magic spray out of a empty windex bottle, let her decorate it and put a drop of lavender in it, for a calming smell
    3. walkie talkies. One for each room and let her hold it all night, just in case
    4. Bed time pass, let her have a home made pass that allows her to get out of bed for ___ minutes to come in your room, pass can only be used once a night.
    Hope something helps, GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• we have bought a touch lamp for my youngest who has tried ther same with us. It has three settings and we let her sleep on the second one.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My daughter does this too. I simply tell her to make friends with the monsters because they are only scary if we tell ourselves that. They might be nice. We made a dream catcher for her room because she used to have night terrors and now she just has vivid dreams. We put soothing music on in her room with that and a little night light. She is now comfortable in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i USED TO SUFFER FROM BAD DREAMS (sorry i wasnt yelling)...and my son suffers from them too.. We both do the same thing. We get our toughest toys (such as the bulldog idea), and place them strategically round the room as "guards". It helps reassure him that he is protected in his own room.
    Your child must have a vast imagination, because people like that are the ones affected the most by dreams. See if there's something you can do during the day to enhance her imagination, such as pretend play, or even inventing a pretend friend. Drawings work especially well. It helps her filter all those thoughts on paper. Do not let her watch TV 2hours before bedtime, make her read nice books (minus the villians), or color quietly. Let her take a bath while having bath toys to play with. Play Barbie with her and have a "bedtime' scenario, or dolls or whatever. Then while tucking her in, check the closets, under the bed, just in case
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have a night light on for my youngest DD and we leave her door open. I even put up a dream catcher in their room too and told them it catches all the bad dreams and the sun burns them up. My youngest was terrified that monsters would come get her so we told her that they couldnt get in cause daddy sprayed for monsters each week while they slept. Even my older DD bought into it! My DH left a few months ago on a long mission and so older DD told my younger DD that daddy sprayed before he left so there wont be any monsters while he is gone. They both sleep pretty well on their own now though when daddy is gone they sneak onto his side of the bed when they are missing him.
    Damali0812

Answer by Damali0812 at 6:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2009