Baby girl is sick! Worried about Swine Flu.

My daughter, who is 10 months, woke up last night around1 am. She had a runny nose and a cough but no fever, so I changed and fed her and put her back to bed. She woke up this morning around 7 with the same runny nose, couch, and now with a fever. I gave her some tylenol. She still seems a bit warm, but is playing. She's not being AS active as usual, but shes not lethargic. She did just lay with me for about 15 minutes which is highly rare for her. I'm not sure if I should wait the 4 hours and then try motrin if she is still warm and see what happens, or just take her to the ER. She just got her third tooth, so maybe she's teething again, but she's never had a fever before when teething. We were without AC for a week and during the day just had fans going but at night we slept in a bedroom with a window unit. So i'm not sure if this could just be cold. The swine flu outbreaks have me worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If she is teething then her temp shouldn't get above 100 degrees.

Anything higher than that is something else.

But I wouldnt get too panicky.....there are plenty of other sicknesses out there that she could have.....give her plenty of fluids....rest....(as much as she will ;) and of course tylenol for fever.

If she gets more lethargic or worse, go to the Dr.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• imo it sounds like she is either teething or has a cold. how high has her temp gotten? be sure she drinks plenty of fluids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Both my kids tested positive for H1N1 and what you are describing does not appear to be the common symptoms of the swine flu. The swine flu starts with a VERY high fever, one that is not typically breakable by meds and severe body aches (which would make it nearly impossible for her to play) A few days AFTER the fever, a cough comes on and usually there is no runny nose. It sounds to me like she has a simple cold.

If you are able to break her fever so that she feels "a little warm" then I see absolutely NO reason to take her to the hospital! Having gone thru the swine flu with both my kids, its no big deal and taking her to the hospital will be pointless. As long as you can break her fever, she doesnt need to go. And with the symptoms you are giving me, and the lack of ones that you arent, I wouldnt even think they would suspect the swine flu
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Swine flu has a very high temp when kids are sick with it... up to 104-105 for most kids.
    Like the pp said, it's probably just a cold.
    Just keep her hydrated and comfortable. Let her temp go as high as it wants unless she is miserable and needs something for comfort... the temp will help kill off the infection and giving something like Motrin doesn't let the body do it's job and prolongs the illness. If she needs something give Motrin, it's much better for pain and for fever than Tylenol is.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Sounds like she just has a normal cold. Keep her hydrated and give her Motrin for her fever, it works a lot better than Tylenol.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the cold is going around. most kids have it about ths time of the month. dont let the swine flu scare you. 6 members of my family fully recovered JUST FINE! its not going to kill you..unless you know, your in bad health. but i wouldnt worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2009