weight on a 15 yo

my daughter is a little bit overweight and i affects her self esteem. I have tried to see what I can do to help her. How do I talk to her about her weight not just for vanity but for her to be health conscious too? I don't want to hurt her feelings, she is very sensitive about her weight. I recently have joined ww after havin my son and am doing great with consistent weight loss. I tried to incorporate and talk to her but she won't listen. I know she is unhappy and tries to mask it. I just want her to feel good about herself and enjoy going to shop for clothes. She just gets so frustrated. I try to get her active, but it just doesn't work. Please give me some pointers just asking for some ideas..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Having been an overweight teen I know how cruel kids can be and how much it affects on'e self esteem. I think WW is a great plan for anyone, can you sit down and honestly talk to her abouther weight? Maybe she will go with you to WW. Promise her new clothes or a "girl's day out" when she reaches a certain goal, even if it is 10 pounds. Aske her to take a walk with you.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Is there a sport she likes? Or some sort of active team available to her? In sports like Soccer and Field Hockey, it can be a little bit of an advantage to be bigger, and also an advantage that she would be active.

Diet is going to be key here. An unhealthy diet is usually what makes people gain weight in the first place. You need to start restructuring her eating habits. Make healthier foods. Serve smaller portions... and certainly don't keep in the junk food in the house. If you really want to help her, you're going to have to address this issue head on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would just ask her if she wants to work out with you. Or if she wants to go for a run. Make it something where she feels like she's helping you with your goal. With the focus off of her she should feel a little better about it. Something else too is to make sure you cook healthy meals and have healthy snack choices at home and not junk food.

Good Luck. I too know how it feels to be an over weight teen. But because my mom was obese I wasn't allowed to try and loose it. Everytime I tried my dad would quit buying healthy food and would find some reason to ground me so I could go exercise. (He once grounded me because my brother beat me home from school. He was on a bike and I was walking just like I did every other day.)
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Theres a group here on Cafemom called " Daily Nutritional Tips" you should check out. Not only are there tips, there are forums with a weight loss challenge, exercise plans/programs, & diet plans/programs.

What do you have to lose? There is LOTS of information there!

Good Luck!
    Anne518

Answer by Anne518 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009