Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who do I call for help? Or do I just wait until it all comes crashing down?

I have a 13 yo niece that is out of control. All with the approval of her mother. She smokes pot, claims to have sold pot, post half naked picture of herself on myspace, and is always in the streets. All before she turned 13 in June. She hangs out with a 17 yo high school girl. She had some guys in a car bring by my mom house to get some clothes. There is not enough space to put everything in here, but it is terribly bad. My sister thinks because my neice is happy with her ghetto life that she is a "Good Mom". I just don't know what to do to help her, Should I call Child Protective Services? It would tear my family apart, but she is headed in the wrong direction and she is barely 13yo!! I just want to cry! How can both parents just turn the other cheek? If something is not done she is going to end up a drug addicted pregnant teenager. And some 18 yo will not know she was 13 and will go to jail. Advice? Stay out of it?

Answer Question

Asked by eluc at 10:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 15 (2,230 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I wish I knew the right answer for you. It sucks that you or anyone is in this situation. Something definitely needs to be done with this girl and her parents for not caring. But calling child prot. services, do you think that would really help? Cause friction in your family (any family) no doubt, but I don't think that would matter. What matters is the child, my concern, and I've seen it and read about it happening before...CPS get involved and the kids get lost in the system, are around even worse influences etc. I would try getting with other family members and talking to her parents that way first. Maybe she could go and live with another family member that would be strict on her and keep her from the crowd she hangs with.. I dunno, I hope you get some good answers on here. I wish I could be helpful. Good Luck

    Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • I dont think there is much cps can do...all they care about is that the child isnt being mentally or physically abused, and that they have a roof over thier head and food provided to them...i dont think they can demand a drug test...the best thing would be for you to do a family intervention.

    Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • Our father is a lawyer. I am thinking of asking him to help me take my sister to court for custody oh her..... My sister moved in with my mom and my dad thought that would help. It has not. My sister is my niece's enabler and my mom is my sister's enabler. My sister is self centered and selfish because my mom has allowed her to be all these years. Watching her children so she can go to Vegas EVERY YEAR. And NOT leaving her money. Allowing my sister to leave her children alone at my mom's when she went out, so my mom would have to watch them because she was going to be tired the next morning. Even though my mom was out with my sister and her husband..... I could go on and on. But I agree, CPS may not be the right answer. I am going to try for a family meeting.

    Answer by eluc at 4:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • Well, what would tear you family appart more, a call to protective services to save this girls life, or this girls potential funeral?

    Answer by salexander at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • Our father is a lawyer. I am thinking of asking him to help me take my sister to court for custody oh her..    This may be the best answer. It may hard at first, given the life she is accustomed to living, and I am sure it will take lots of patience on your part, but THANK YOU for being willing to help a child so obviously desperately in need of guidance. God bless!


    Answer by WvPhotobug at 3:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.