I am so scared of pain during labor and really don't know what to expect.

I know it's probably hard to explain and something you have to go through to really know. But how would you describe the pain?? Exactly what area? When they checked my cervix it hurt like hell. I know labor is much different.. but is it in any way the same kind of pain, I mean the area? And what does it feel like when you push? I want an epidural. But would like to hear from those who have gone with or without it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anything you wish you would have known then?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had an epidural. The docors did not give me a choice. I had preeclampsia and my blood pressure was way too high. Honestly, I felt pressure....like you have to take a really big poop....don't know how else to describe it. But I didn't feel too much of anything after the epidural.
    Anonymous

• The epidural is a very gooood thing lol. But before that you have to feel some pain. The pain is a hardening on your stomach muscles. It feels like squeezing to me. Like someone is sqeezing your insides out. You can focus through the pain with breething techniques. I did this with both my kids. If you loose that focus than the more the pain will hurt. As long as they know your getting a epi the pain will go away with the epi. The epi is your best friend during labor. You will see for yourself. You wont feel anything! Congrats and good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I was induced at 37 weeks after my water broke so I had a dry labor. I got an spinal and epidural at 3 cm. The pain prior to that was like a tightening/burning/loss of breath sensation that started at the outer edges of my belly and went in towards my belly button. Also I was very nausious and vomiting but I had terrible morning sickness throughout my pregnancy. After my epidural... I slept- all night. The nurse woke me up in the morning and said I was ready to push. I couldn't feel or move one leg and everytime I threw up I peed the bed. It sucked but the nurses understood (I am a nurse myself). They took away the epidural so I could feel to push. I couldn't make any progress lying in the bed so I moved to a birthing stool. I then progressed quicker. It felt like exactly what it was-a huge head stretching the vagina and perineum-kind of a burning/ripping sensation.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Its not as bad as your brain likes to make it out to be. I mean, you are getting a BABY! so any pain is sort of overshadowed in the longrun.

I would explain it like the worst period cramps you have ever had, times 10,000....;) But with an epidural, very pain free!!!

The epidural felt like a bee sting on my back.....so dont panic about that either....VERY VERY worth it!

It felt like a HUGE poop sensation when they are coming out. Pressure, like a horse sitting on you, but bearable too ;)

After your baby comes, you will forget all about it ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• After the baby came out it was immediate relief. I felt like I could breath again, the nausea and vomiting went away and the pain of trauma to the vagina was minimal. After the placenta came out I felt even lighter. "Aaahhhhhh...." would be the best way to describe it. I was really sore starting the day after birth but I could still walk around (like an old lady). That soreness lasted about a week. I have to say the epidural was the best thing ever, despite the peeing. My anesthesiologist was my favorite person ever!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Your cervix shouldn't have hurt when they checked you. The checks aren't necessary and you can refuse. But there is no need whatsoever for someone to give you a rough exam. I suspect they may have tried to strip your membranes without your permission or knowledge.

I am eagerly anticipating my first. I'm not afraid. I am confident that my body will do what it will do and that the less stress the less pain. Stress feeds pain and anticipaing pain makes it hurt more because it tenses muscles and interferes with the release of natural endorphins. I'll get through it the same way I deal with anything else, patience, confidence, relaxation, and the knowledge that it is temporary.

The epidural has way to many side effects and potential for permanant discomfort long after birth for my comfort. That's just the nature of drugs and the reality of administering it through the spine with a needle. Not worth the risk to me.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i didn't have an epi, didn't want one, didn't want to have to lay down, didn't want monitored, and didn't want a catheter. wanted to do anything i could to prevent the possibility of c-section.

i'm really sorry but you are right it's so hard to explain. also it's different for everyone. it hurt really bad. but it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. completely manageable! i did a lot of moaning & yelling. most women say the pushing is a lot better & less painful, but for me it was the worst part. i can't even really remember what it felt like but it hurt.

seriously i was really afraid too but try not to be so scared cuz it really wasn't as bad as i expected. while i was pregnant, my stepmom told me the foot cramps she had were worse than labor. i thought she must be nuts. but i had bad foot/leg cramps during pregnancy & she's right, they were more painful! BUT they last just a few minutes not 8 hrs
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i agree with amilee that fear can make it worse. but i was really afraid but i somehow didn't let it get in my way. i guess i felt confident and knew that i could do it but really had no idea what to expect and everyone acted like it would be so painful! i think for my second it might be less painful because i'll be less nervous and know what to expect more.

good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i thought i would add that i didn't feel the burning some posters said. i felt the tightening/squeezing/cramping mostly all over my stomach but some in my back.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009