Why is it?

Why is it that everyone has such a huge problem with teenage mothers? Yes I am vaccinating my daughter because I believe thats whats best for her. Yes I formula feed because I couldn't breastfeed. I am the best mother I can be and thats alright for me. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm stupid. I do what I think is best for my daughter. Age doesn't have anything to do with how good of a mother you are. So what is so bad about teenage mothers? Have a baby at 17 wasn't a mistake it was an unplanned blessing.

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 11:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sweetie, I dont pay attention to all the bashing some people do when it comes to certain things on here. I was pregnant for my 2nd child when I graduated HS, and I graduated on time, with my class, and in the top 10 %. Some people just think that you arent capable for whatever reasons. Only YOU know how good of a mom you are at the end of the day and everyone elses opinion shouldnt matter. YES, it is HARD to be such a young mom sometimes, but as I have gotten older, I have come to realize that it is hard for EVERYONE from time to time to be a parent, no matter what the age of the parent. The ones passing some sort of judgment dont walk in your shoes, so just ignore it all. :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i don't have a problem with teenage mothers, i have a problem with a "mother" at any age that dosen't take care of their kids..whehter they are 17 or 37
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I am always proud to see that a "young" mom made the right decision to keep her baby. I don't judge her for being young, I think that they have more sense than a lot of women by doing what is right. Keep up the good work mamma.
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I was a teen mom and I think I rock as a mom. My daughters were both teen moms and they are great moms. Just continue to make good decisions and be the best you can be. To heck with those who have a problem with teen moms. I've seen older moms who were bad moms so it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with intelligence.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm a teen mom and I am right there with you!! I get so many stupid comments from older people about my choices as a mother because i'm "young" I'm sorry Yes, I had my son at 17 but I have raised him on my own since the day he was born and he is 4 now and I think I have done damn well. No I didn't breastfeed, I coslept, My son slept on his stomach from the time he was born, He got all of his vaccinations on time, I was giving him cereal at 3 1/2 months old and the worst of all *gasp* I didn't circumcise ... SO WHAT?! I didn't do those things because I was a young mom I did those things because it is what I felt was best for MY child... I hate when people say I did those things because I was a "dumb teen mom" (I've been told this more than once!) just because i'm young doesn't mean i'm not a good mom.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I was 17, a senior in high school, when I had dd. I was pulled out of school the beginning of March because of complications. I did all the work for the last 1/4 of the year, at home, in a week, while taking care of a newborn. I was the 1st to walk acroos the stage to get my diploma, then I gave my baby girl a big hug & kiss. I spent the next 5 1/2 yrs as a single working mom, supporting us alone, raising her, teaching her everything she needed to know for school & more, sacrificing anything I needed to to make sure she had the best I could offer her. Now, I'm married, have a 2nd child, homeschool, and have my own business.
    There are some women in their 30s that don't have the strength, determination, & maturity to do what some of us did as teenagers. So, you do the best you can for that child & hold your head high knowing you're doing the hardest job in the world. They'll get over it eventually. Until just ignore them.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Because you are the exception and not the rule when it comes to teen moms. For every good teen mom there are 5 others that are terrible at it. Children raising children is never a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I just look at the mother's twice my age who could care less about their kids. I am very involved in every aspect of my child's life...except at this second because she's playing Wii with daddy lol. I can't take people serious when they feel the need to associate good parenting with age being I see more older moms on the news than teen moms here.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would say mostly because teens have so many other things they need to do, like finish growing up before taking on the responsibility of a child and it's sad to see that they don't get that opportunity. Sure, some do a good job, but it could have been so much better if they had waited and the loss of that possibility is sad.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree with anon 11:45 and with Pnukey.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009