How is a sahm a role model and productive human being?

I saw this responce to another question... "Personally I would have take the job because not only would I be a role model for my kids as a working mom but I be a productive working (salary) human being. JMO"

So my question(s) is(are)

1) is this person correct? (If you agree you need not answer the other questions)

2) if not, HOW is a sahm a role modle for her children?

3) if not, HOW is a sahm productive human being?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no, a sahm is a role model for her children in that she is always there and takes care of her children and the house and cooks and cleans, my mom was a sahm and for right now i am too and i feel there is nothing that is a bigger reward than taking care of my child 24/7, i love being a mother and taking care of my son and cooking and cleaning is my job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I believe that both working moms and SAHM can be good role models and productive. The SAHM shows her children about hard work, about caring for other people and taking care of other people, how to do tasks around the the house- cleaning, cooking, and so forth. About nutrition and meal plannning and preparation, about good manners, about dealing with others- playground time, talking with other moms, play dates, about organizing one's day. About careful use of money and budgeting. About dealing with emergencies. About caring for her husband (or SO) and about putting what she wants on the back burner for her family's sake. The children learn that a person is not the center of the universe, that caring for others is important.
    She teaches them about the environment and how to get along with what they have. (The OP didn't ask the same questions about the working mom, so I won't proceed to working mom's teachings.)

Answer by Bmat at 12:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree with anon11. My mother was also a sahm, and for now so am I. Why couldnt I be a role model for my child. I am doing everything in my power to make sure that he is healthy, safe, and learning values, manners, and creating a true bond with him. I am also a full time college student taking classes online, so that is something for a child to look up to right, even though I'm just a sahm. I am also a U.S. veteran, that is also something for a child to look up to right.
    A lot of women out there are sahm, and most are wonderful role models for their children, because we are taking time from our lives to ensure that our children get a good start in there lives. But hey if you think it would be better for us all to send our children to day care to get sick, learn bad manners, and be raised by a stranger, then maybe you are the one who is not a good role model.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• 1) is this person correct? (If you agree you need not answer the other questions) NO

2) if not, HOW is a sahm a role model for her children? Because it teaches children that when you make a commitment to someone you hold to it. I have told our boys that when I started having children that I made a promise to always be there for them.

3) if not, HOW is a sahm productive human being? I do things for school, take care of our home, yard, cars, dogs, paperwork for Hubby, paying bills. Everything runs smooth because everything's taken care of.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• is this what you want to hear.ya us sahm are lazy and dont contribute anything to society.we do absolutly nothing all day except to sit on out fat asses and breed.we are bad role models to our children and shouldnt even be alive to talk about it..we should be all taken out and quarted.we are all submissive house wives who go down on our husbands at a drop of a hat lol...is that what you want.lolololololol........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• All moms are role models. If they are good or bad role models depends on the type of person they are, not if they get a paycheck.
    What my kids are learning from me - the value of hard work, not all work is rewarded with a paycheck, neccessary life skills, that the education they're recieving will be used throughout their lives, no matter what they decide to do, that learning is lifelong & doesn't end when you walk out the door of an educational institution, that determination, intelligence,creativity, and a strong will are important, regardless of where you work, that caring for others is important, & more

A productive member of society is not determined by a paycheck. It's someone who contributes something to society, not just mooches off of society. That something could be the groceries bought for the food pantry, the hours worked at the soup kitchen, teaching our kids to contribute, anything good you put into society.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 12:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Boy brave question!
    No, the person is not correct and they are probably not a good role model for their children. A role model is about showing others how you would have them behave. Hopefully we are teaching our children the things they will need to lead happy and successful lives. Each parent is different, some good, some bad. A SAHM has chosen to impart these lessons to her children on an everyday 24/7 basis. A WM has less contact with her children and entrusts them to a care provider that, hopefully, serves as an equally good role model. Either can be excellent role models, depending on what you are trying to teach.

As far as productivity, a WM can show her productivity easily through the check she brings home and the success she has at her job. A SAHM's productivity is less obvious and won't likely be seen until her kids are grown. The investment she makes in her children today will pay dividends in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• As a working single mom, I have to do pretty much everything a SAHM does, PLUS go out & work 40+ hours a wk
    I take offense to the person who says sending children to daycare will teach them bad manners, make them sick, etc... as if that is what happens in every case. My two youngest children learned so much in daycare, socialization skills they weren't getting at home that they needed when they started school, to name one of many. If you don't like people generalizing sAHM's, why are you generalizing daycare?
    There are benefits to both sides, it all comes down to each Mom doing the best she can do given the circumstances, nothing more. I know a SAHM who doesn't read a single book to her kids all day and blames her ADD. My older daughter and I read to my younger children every night. The SAHM is on welfare, and often buys stolen merchandise from boosters to clothe her children & furnish the house.
    Who's the role model now?
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• All mothers are role models and working people, just because a SAHM doesn't get paid doesn't mean its not a job!!! I defend SAHM's, I'm a working mother, and I would trade with them any day!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Ugh, people need it get over it! Every family is different! Some people stay at home, some people work. Who cares what every one else does?
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009