im like 7 months now any encourgement??

So lately ive been super worried about what they do before labor...im scared of going through labor but i think im more of scared of getting my cervix check! lol i was in the doctors office and was waiting for my doctor to come back from another patient who was screaming for like 5minutes straight because she was getting her membranes strip and after that ive been kinda terrified...doctors that did pap tests on me before always had trouble with the clamp(the sliver thing to open ur vagina up) and its super uncomfortable not that pap tests r suppose to be comfortable..im like 7 months now any encourgement?? if i do have to get induced r they gona strip my membranes or is it an option i rather skip that..what can i do to get over the fear of the clamp?? (lol sounds stupid but its terrfying to me)

Kri5taa

Asked by Kri5taa at 12:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hey hun, im 7 months too and being induced is nothing to be worried about right now, Ive heard the average 1st pregnancy goes up to 41 weeks not 40 weeks so if you make it to 40 and baby still isnt here just wait a week or 2 longer to try and avoid having that happen, well if your comfortable enough to wait until 42 weeks and its safe for you and baby.

I thnk we all have our own set of worries but maybe you should take some childbirth classes to ease your mind on the whole process.

hmm...a way to get over the clamp? I guess you could just think, if they are using a clamp to check my dilation then my baby will be here soon. Just think of the baby.

Good Luck
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• relaxing is the key. Take a deep breath just before insertion. I had 3 kids but have no clue about membrane stripping. Ask the dr.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• p.s. I was terrified my first time of the unknown. It turned out to not be as horrible as I thought it might be. The imagination is a funny thing sometimes. On my second time around I found out that you can control the situation with your breathing. Take Lamaze classes or read the book /check out the website and practice the breathing. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Controlled breathing takes the diaphragm up off the contracting uterus and makes the pain subside. You can control it all so that there is no real pain. (discomfort maybe but not horrible pain that some women go through bc they are not prepared). Arm yourself with knowledge and it will be a wonderful experience.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had my membranes stripped when I was 40 weeks along and a day late. =P (My daughter came early, but my son - now 1-1/2 months old - didn't want to come out! hehe) My doctor was gentle about it and when she did it, it was definitely unexpected, quick, and hurt for a little bit (less than minute)...as if a bee stung ya, but inside. =P (They don't use the clamp when stripping your membranes. Its like getting a cervix check, then they sweep.) I'm not a big fan of the "duck bill" clamp either, but its a lot less "scary" now when they use the clear plastic ones instead of the cold silver ones. I always keep thinking and telling myself, "this is for my son, this is for my son." That way I don't feel as afraid for myself, I'm just protecting the well-being of my unborn child. =) [That's how I also get through IVs and crap...I HATE needles, knives, and anything sharp!]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• don't feel silly, i think that's a pretty normal fear to not want people sticking stuff in your hoo hah.

you can refuse all of that. some research shows that stripping the membranes doesn't do any good anyway! i read it online before but didn't save the link but you could try googling something like risks and benefits of stripping membranes. you can also refuse getting your cervix checked. actually checking to see how dilated you are doesn't tell much about when you will go into labor. you could be not dilated at all and go into labor the next day or you could be dilated 3 cm for days and days. also getting your cervix checked increases the chances of infection so you could just tell them that you don't want it. i agree with the first response that you should try your best not to worry about induction at 7 months. if you are at 42 weeks then you might want to consider it. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• lol im about 7 months too... && i keep telling myself it'll all be over faster than the time i've wasted worrying about it!!! besides i've encountered some pretty extreme pains thru my life already!!! lol tooth caused nerve problems that made my body fold up strange like i was demon possesed...for 4 hrs NOT fun.. hurt my back on a trampoline... was down for about 8 months.. lol @ this point i only can imagine nothing being worse than the nerve problem !!
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 6:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2009