Taking the binky away.

He's 3. Yes I know should've done it sooner. He uses it for naps and to sleep at night. Anyone have suggestions on how to go about taking it away? I'm much too weak for cold turkey...lol

Kimposible

Asked by Kimposible at 12:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Cut the tip and then he wont want it and eventually give up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't take it from him cold turkey. Aren't you a creature of comfort? Don't you have things or do certain things to soothe yourself when you need it. That concept applies to children too. It won't stunt their growth to let them have it when they need it. Don't allow him to have it all the time but if he likes that when he naps what is the big deal? I mean the only reason you are told to take it away is because of their teeth. Well, regulate the use of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Hi! Don't worry. Hopefully this will work. It worked for me. At two I told my son that the pacie fairy was coming and that we need to gather all the pacies up and put them on the kitchen table. I told him that the pacie fairy gives the pacies to babies that need them and that she leaves you a big boy present in return.

I wrapped up the gifts in brightly colored paper and put them at his place at the table. The next day the pacies were gone and we made a big deal about him being a big boy and he got to open his gifts.

When he asked for his pacies we told him that they were given to babies that needed them and that he got his big boy toys in return. He still to this day can point out the gifts he got from the pacie fairy.

I thought that this suggestion was a little goofy, I got it from an article or something, but surprisingly it does work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I know how you feel, I just recently got it away from my 2 and 3 1/2 yr olds. My 3 yr old was the toughest for sure! I had tried a few times and she would just scream at bed time (scream bloody murder!) Even with the tip cut off she didnt care, I even cought her a few times with the fake doll binkies in her mouth! About 2 weeks ago we had to throw one away because it was bitten, and the other one was LOST!! SO that was the end of the binkies. Surprisingly they did fine, my 3 yr old asked a few times and I had to tell her it was lost so she cant have it. It is almost like a distant memory now, cause they have been so good about it. I do miss seeing them with their binkies though, it was awful cute, lol!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my son used them for naps and bedtime too, and I would go in his room and take them away from him after he was asleep and they had fallen out of his mouth. Then I'd just tell him we lost it or something... He didn't even think about them after a couple of days. I also play a CD of quiet music for him to fall asleep with instead of the pacifier. Maybe you could start doing that (while he still has the pacifier) and once he's used to the music, start "losing" the pacifiers...
    I don't know if that would still work at this age. My son was a little younger when we took his away, but it might be an option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009