Do you or did you reward your child for using the potty?

What did you reward them with?I need some ideas on how to reward my 4yr old son for using the potty.And yes i said 4yrs old,he has developmental delays.He has come a long way since starting speech therapy/p.p.c.d program.I have had a few successes with him peeing in the toilet.I need something creative besides stickers.He gets compulsive about things so i would have to give him ten stickers instead of one.Don't know why but he has a compulsion for hanging things up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Find something that he likes and use that as a reward ... I used stickers, dum dum pops, small toys (from the dollar store) and things like that. Good Luck with potty training. Also have you tried using cheerios in the potty and making it a game?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I praised my child whenever she goes and announce it to my hubby so that he praises her too. =)p We say "wow! That's a big girl! Good potty baby! Good potty! Yay!!" LOL

Oh, I have heard of the cheerios thing too. My friend used that on her son and it works wonders. He loves "aiming" at them and trying to "sink" them. hahahahaha! Have fun!
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 12:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We would get really excited and clap. They loved it, it seemed like our son would get on it and try just so we would make a big deal out of it. I would reward them with new cartoon undies, I let them pick out the kind they liked.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• we give lots of verbal praise, and when we did our week of serious potty training he got a few chocolate chips each time he went, but he was more excited about getting to use his step stool and wash hands, and forgot most of the time. Later on, we were having a hard time getting him to poo in the potty and we started giving him money for his piggy bank. That worked wonders!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 12:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• with my oldest, we let him choose a toy that he wanted. We started a change jar that he put in a certain number of coins per potty trip. When the jar was full, he got the toy. granted he didn't get a clue until right after his 4th bday. We are trying to get his little brother done now. He is almost 4, so maybe he'll stop be stubborn soon. We started him on the reward of chocolate. He gets a number of little chocolate bars per potty visit. He knows what to do, just doesn't care about it right now.

Several people use a sticker chart. Good luck.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I choose to verbally reward my kids for doing a great job. Sometimes they wanted me to clap they were so excited so I went along with it. Praise good behavior is a great rule.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I did not reward her. I bought her a potty of her very own and we decorated it.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• What does he really like? My girlfriend's son loves home depot. So she went bought white underpants found home depot iron ons and made home depot underpants. She then used the chart to mark off how many times he went and after i don't remember 5 times he received the underpants. His favorite toy that he always has to have buy a second hide it somewhere and when he is using the potty allow him to hold it. When he is done he has to give it back. When he goes again he gets to hold it again. He will associate that toy with the potty.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My husband and I reward our almost 4yr. old with coins to feed his Gator bank.... If he see's us paying the Gator than he thinks he needs to do the same. Two coins for #1 and three coins for #2.... He doesn't know the value of the coin... LOL... I have to say it works for us.... It's funny what parents do to reward our childern with potty training.....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We did more verbal reinforcement than treats, but my kids did get a few m&m's or little candies like that.
    By the way my dd #1, typically developing child didn't train until she was 3 1/2. My twins who are also delayed didn't get it until after they were 5, and they were in full time preschool, with speech and OT. So I know what your going through. We used a picture that was posted on our wall so that speech wasn't the big issue. It was funny to see. We started by me, Dh, DD #1 any time we would go to the bathroom we would touch the picture and say, I have to go to the bathroom, I need to go potty. Eventually the twins got the assocation with the picture and the act of going to the bathroom
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009