Am I harming my child by feeding him solids?

I get such conflicting advice. He wakes up hungry a lot at night. He shows that he is developmentally ready for solids. He wants my food when I'm eating. He has no problems sitting and holding his head up. He eats the food fine without his tongue thrusting it out.

Nurses always say not before 6 months.
I started at 5 months and 1 week.

Dr's don't necessarily say that. My Dr. said he started solids when their sleep pattern changed.

Most of my frieds started at 4 months. One started at 2 1/2 (I think that's too early) - that was her Dr's advice.

Am I doing something wrong? He enjoys eating...but is having a hard time pooping. He eats rice cereal.

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is almost 4 months old..he;s been eating baby food for almost a month now...He's fine! I think it just depends on the child...
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well the rice cereal is what is making him have trouble pooping. If you change to baby oatmeal you'll probably do better.
    Starting cereal at 5 months is fine... but don't be too eager to try a bunch of new foods. Wait until 6 months before doing a bunch of other things.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You should wait with oatmeal until he is 6 months old. I would try to alternate the foods a little bit. You could try mashed apples, pears or carrots without the cereal to see if that helps with the poop. But don't give too many different things at once and wait 4 days in between every new thing. If you want to try and make the food yourself www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a really good site for information, facts about different foods and inspiration.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• just make sure you start him off with one new jar food every week...feed him taht same one for the entire week...that way if he has an allergic reaction you know it was that jar food causing it!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Our ped started my ds on solids at 2 weeks, he's been fine since. I think it depends on the baby. Is he satisfied after he eats the solids? If he is having trouble pooping try the oatmeal, it is more filling and full of fiber.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• A couple of weeks before 6 months is fine but I wouldn't go much earlier than that because their little tummies just aren't ready. Sounds like your little guy is ready so go for it! Just remember to start slowly, he should still be getting most of his nutrition from mama milk at his age and the food is mostly just for practice rather than nutrition. Rice cereal can stop them up a little, try switching to oat cereal or move on to some pureed fruit or veggies. My guy would only eat the rice cereal with mashed avocado anyway and the fat helped combat the constipating effect.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• First of all this is the internet and 2nd you know your baby better then anyone else so you do what's best for your baby. My babies started rice cereal at 2 wks old. Give them karo syrup in a bottle of water if he is having trouble pooping worked for mine everytime.I didn't have much problems with that anyway but if I did that's what I did. I always did what I wanted anyway and no one seemed to question me or give me advice or tell me I was doing anything wrong of course I am in the mind set that these are my children I'm going to dowhat's right for them and I have tolive with them no one else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well give him more water. If he's not sick cause of the foods then he's fine. My son was on cereal at 8 weeks old IN HIS BOTTLE , and he turned out just fine. You know your child, if they are eating and enjoying and not sick from it, you are doing well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the solids will change the consistency of his poops, but the rice will make him constipated...My DD started with mashed avocado at 5 months and did fine. The rice is just empty calories that he doesn't need anyway....

In response to PP....do NOT give water at that age...there is such a thing as water poisoning....google it. The babies don't have enough body mass to absorb it and it can be dangerous.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You're probably fine, but if I were in your shoes, i'd skip the cereal altogether and try some avocado on him. It's VERY good for his body, and you don't have to do anything for it to taste good to babies.

Cereal is chock full of...nothing. There are no nutritional benefits, and as you now know, it can constipate.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009