Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parent adoption in Ca

Can someone please help me? My son is 5 years old. His Bio father has not had any contact (his choice) since November 13, 2004. I have been with my husband for 3 years, he has raised my son as his own and done more for him then I could ever expect or want. My son only knows my husband as his Dad. My husband wants to adopt our boy and give him our last name. My question is, can anyone help us or know how to start a step parent adoption in California? My ex already agreed to it, but we don't know what paperwork is needed or how it is done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ladies! :)

Answer Question

Asked by LUVWJ at 12:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Adoption

Level 3 (21 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I don't know specifically, but my first choice would be to contact an adoption attorney.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • You don't need an attorney! Go to social services,set up a court date in your county children's court in which ex relinquishes his rights and they will do a second one for new daddy to adopt. If eveyone is in agreeance you don't want to waste thousands on something the state can do for you. *ll you pay is court costs. I'm from Cali, and I'm speaking from experience if it helps any.

    Answer by Steff107 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • If you decide to contact an adoption attorney, I would recommend David Leavitt. He has been practicing adoption law for over 40 years. He handled the adoptions of our two boys. It might be worth to just buy an hour or so of his time for a consultation and do the rest yourself? Just to make sure everything is done properly? It might be a place for referral too.

    His website:
    His wife's name is Aileen. She can also be very helpful.

    Answer by moniquemomma at 10:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • Careful! Sometimes lawyers will make you feel like you NEED their services to get money. You could probably do it yourself. The consult is where they make you think you need them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

  • First of all, your ex needs to terminate his parental rights. Without him doing this, your son is not legally adoptable. I would definitely go to a free consultation with a lawyer to go over the exact process. I am not sure where you are in Cali, but my adoption attorney is located in San Francisco and her name is Susan Romer

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • We did our step parent adoption ourselves in NY. Father was deceased. No lawyer necessary if there is no conflict.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.