back in shape - now how to lose the belly?

My son is almost three and I am finally back in shape. I am running regularly again, my old clothes fit me, and my body is back to the exact same size and shape it was before my pregnancy -- in all ways but one: I weigh a few pounds more than I used to, and my belly isn't flat anymore. Is there anything I can do to work on just the belly fat? Thanks!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 12:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm afraid I have to agree with desert diva. In order to shrink the fat cells in one area, you have to shrink them everywhere. That translates to losing weight evenly everywhere you have fat. If you already have even distribution, as opposed to stick thin arms and more fat around your hips and thighs, you're more likely to be able to lose a few more pounds and still look great everywhere else.

Aside from surgical options, which I would not recommend (think having an artificial belly button after a tummy tuck!), you can target muscle toning with ab crunches. Although this will not burn the belly fat, it will tone and tighten the area and it may appear smaller and flatter.

Another thing, and this is a tough one, is to reduce your stress. Being a single working mom of a 2 1/2-year-old myself, this is next to impossible. It is believed that Cortisol increases with stress and contributes to stored belly fat.

Best of luck.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Unfortunately you can't spot train for fat. The body will burn it from where ever it wants. The only thing you can do is continue to lose weight until your body decides to start burning the belly fat.

You can have liposuction done, but that can leave a bumpy, uneven result. A tummy tuck(or a mini tuck if you lucky enough to fit the criteria...but good luck with that!) will give better results.

Or you can wear foundation garments that will suck it in for you.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• go to the health section in the daily buzz, and there is a weekly move in there called belly bulge blaster. try it out
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Just keep doing what you're doing and tighten up on the diet a little. What everyone else said is correct, but maintaining a healthy diet (and small portions) could be part of the solution to your belly problem.

Sounds like you're doing great though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'd try Turbo Jam. All of the moves that you do with this engage your core.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009